5 day itinerary help for Luzern, Murren, Montreux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 16:09:33 #811550

Hi Ya’ll,

We only have 5 nights so I am trying to decide how to divide the nights up. I have chatted with ya’ll before and have changed my trip up a bit after hearing your advice. We are visiting Lucerne, Murren, and Montreux . Not sure if it would be valuable to see Rigi and Pilatus (We need 2 days for this)or just seeing one would be enough. In Murren we definitely want to go to Shilthorn, not sure if we would really need to see Jungfrau also? again 2 days? Last but not least Lake Geneva area, we want to see the castle (Montreux) and ride bikes,etc (2 days?)

I appreciate your assistance!

Carla Hill

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 16:36:31 #862186

Hi Carla,

Looks like a good itinerary you have started!

Mt. Rigiand Mt. Pilatusare unique in their own way – it depends on which one looks more interesting to you. I think Mt. Pilatus is more popular. You could do both in one day if you want (long day of course).

I think you can skip Jungfraujoch if you are seeing Schilthorn already….its also very expensive so that is something to consider. You can also do both in one day if you so choose (again depending on what you want to do there – poke your head around for an hour or two or go hiking etc).

Here is a Montreux activities list for you to check out – lots of cool things to see/do and day trips to Geneva and Lausanne are possible as well.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 18:06:31 #862187

Thanks so much for the info Lucas. Another question, since I was planning on going Lucerne, Murren, and then Montreux; should I instead go Lucerne, Montreux and then Murren since I could take the Golden Pass from Lucerne to Montreux free with my Swiss Rail Pass? Does the train also go Montreux back to Interlaken?

Thanks so much,

Carla

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 5:19:10 #862188

How are you entering and leaving the country?
    If you are in and out of Zurich for example, I would visit Lucerne, then Murren and then Montreux still.
    You can pick up the Golden Pass train in Interlaken after leaving Murren.

The train between Luzern (local German spelling) and Interlaken is the Luzern-Interlaken Express. This is the train everyone is on if they are traveling just this route only or as part of the Golden Pass train route. So nothing missed there if you do that section, then visit Murren and then the Golden Pass from Interlaken to Montreux a few days later

From Montreux you can easily take a train anywhere in the country.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 6:05:14 #862189

whether you are suppose to reserve seat on lucerne interlaken express

whether we can travel with swiss travel pass on this route

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 6:08:14 #862190

No, you don’t need to reserve a seat on Lucerne-Interlaken express
    Yes you can – see all routes that are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘5 day itinerary help for Luzern, Murren, Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.