6 day trip in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2015 at 14:43:08 #807091

Hi,

I am visiting Switzerland from 16th to 21st June with below itinerary:-

16th June – Arrive Zurich afternoon and take a train to St Moritz.

17th June – Take the Glacier express to Zermatt. I have booked the seats on Glacier express for this trip.

18th June – Spend the day in Zermatt and visit locally.

19th June – Take the train to Interlaken.

20th June – Spend time In Interlaken / visit Jungfrau

21st June – Travel to Lucerne and then to Geneva.

Since I have quite a bit of travel to do, I am thinking of purchasing the 8 days Swiss travel pass which would cover for the 6 days trip (since there is no option of purchasing a 6 day pass). Can you pls advise me:-

a) looking at the above travel itinerary – is it the cheapest option to purchase the swiss travel pass or should I purchase individual tickets?

b) Do I need to book seats on any of the above sectors except for Glacier express which I have done already? Does trip from Zermatt to Interlaken and from Interlaken to Geneva require any reservations?

c) Does the swiss travel pass cover Glacier express and all travel in the above itinerary?

d) Pls advise some places of interest in Zermatt where I would be spending a day.

Thanks for your help.

Brgds,

Vasishtha.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    18 April 2015 at 11:01:27 #842540

Hi Vasishtha! Let’s look into your questions. First all, you’ll have to decide on a rail pass indeed. Buying individual tickets would be a lot more expensive. There are two options:

1. an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. This includes all trips you mention. The only things you’ll have to pay for additionally are seat reservations for the Glacier Express and part of the Jungfraujoch trip between Wengen/Grindelwald and the Jungfraujoch (25% off the regular price with a Swiss Travel Pass). Mountain trips from Zermatt would be disocunted by 50%. Here‘s detailed information on what’s covered.

2. a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass Flexi Combi. This allows 4 days of free traveling, that you should use for June 16, 17, 19 and 21. All traveling on these days is covered, again except for the Glacier Express seat reservations. On the remaining two days, that you’ll use for shorter local trips from Zermatt/Interlaken, you’ll get a 50% discount on all traveling. So you’d have to buy 50% discounted tickets for a trip you may want to make from Zermatt and for the entire Jungfraujoch trip. Details on what’s covered are mentioned here.

The 4 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi might be a bit cheaper overall, but I don’t think there’s much difference between both options price-wise. Please calculate carefully it you want to be sure.

As for your further questions: you don’t need any other seat reservations. Tips about Zermatt are listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2015 at 20:51:26 #842541

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the reply and info. If I understand correctly and purchase and 4 day flexi combi pass, then, this would be giving me the same discount as if I had purchased the 8 days Swiss travel pass With no difference whatsoever. Is my understanding correct?

Indeed I see that the difference between both the passes is only CHF 17 (CHF 363 – CHF 346) and it may be beneficial to purchase the 8 day pass in case of any changes to travel plans. Appreciate if you can revert prior I order the travel pass.

thanks and Brgds,

vasishtha.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 April 2015 at 12:20:12 #842542

Hi Vasishtha,

The main difference is that the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi provides a 50% discount on the leg Wengen/Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch. The Swiss Travel Pass Flex and Swiss Travel Pass offer a 25% discount. So the overall price difference is a bit bigger if you include that trip, but the 8-day pass is more convenient, and may save more money depending on which exact day trip you will make.

Note that in your case (living in Denmark), the best price for these passes is offered by http://www.acprail.com, as you can see here.

• The thread ‘6 day trip in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.