6 days in Switzerland by car from Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2012 at 5:51:42 #804940

Dear sir/madan,

My group has 7 adults and 2 kids (4 and 7 years old). We will be in and out from Malpenza airport and plan to drive a van to Switzerland. We plan to stay in Switzerland 6 days from April 13 to 18. We plan to stay in Interlaken 3 nights and travel to the near by city like Lucerne, Montreux and Jungfraujoch while we stay in Interlaken. Then we will stay 2 nights in Zermatt. We will leave the van in Interlaken and will take a train to Zermatt and stay there for 2 nights. My question is that will it be economical to buy 2 – 1 Swiss Pass for 4days for my group to use to travel in my last 4 days. One day is to Montreux and ride a boat in the lake. Second day is to take a train to Jungfraujoch (can I use the swiss pass to ride this train from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch). Third day is to take the train to Zermatt and fourth day to ake a train back from Zermatt to Interlaken and drive th van back to Malpenza. Please kindly advise whether we should buy the 4days swiss pass or we should just buy normal train tickets. Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    20 February 2012 at 10:19:54 #834944

Hello Awusuwat, and welcome! Yes, the 2 for 1 offer on the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass will an economical option. The Swiss Saver Pass will cover all trips you mention (except for the leg Wengen/Grindelwald-Jungfraujoch, where a 25% applies). The children will travel along for free with the free STS Family Card that can be ordered along. If you do have this Swiss Saver Pass anyway, I would even advise not to use your van for the trip Interlaken-Montreux, but take the train: it’s for free with your pass and it’s a wonderful and relaxed way of traveling.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2012 at 18:46:01 #834945

Dear Annika, Thanks a lot for your help. This is our first family trip in Switzerland and we are all looking forward to this trip. Would you please be so kind to give us your comment whether during April 16 and 17, whether it is still possible to ski in Zermatt? Thanks in advance. Awasauwat

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 February 2012 at 15:16:19 #834946

Hello Awasauwa! Skiing near Zermatt is possible all year round. You will have to get high up in the mountains though. I think you should consider the Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn as your starting point.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2012 at 10:26:33 #834947

Dear Annika,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I would like to get your idea whether it is possible to make a round trip as below.
    April 13 leaving from Milan Malpensa morning to Zermatt (leave the car in the town nearby then take a train to Zermatt)
    April 14 leaving from Zermatt in the afternoon to get the car and drive to Interlaken
    April 15 use Interlaken as base and travel by train to Montreux and back in the evening
    April 16 day trip to Jungfraujoch
    April 17 drive to Lucerne and stay overnight in Lucerne
    April 18 leaving from Lucerne to Lugano and go to Como
    April 19 go back to take flight from Malpensa
    Please kindly let me know if I can make one round as my plan. I plan to use 4 days swiss pass from April 13 – 16 together with van the the last 2 days (17 and 18) travel by van. Please kindly suggest the road from Malpensa to Zermatt and where I should park the van to take a train to Zermatt. Thanks in advance.

Annika
    7104 posts
    26 February 2012 at 6:03:14 #834948

Hi Awusawat. Yes, that’s doable. I think you should use the timetable and a good online map, such as google maps or maps.search.ch, to plan your trips by public transport and car. These websites allow you to make detailed plannings and find the best routes available. You should use the car park in Täsch to leave your van when heading for Zermatt.

In case you’re still looking for hotels: we’ve just updates our hotel page and added list of manually selected hotels for example in Zermatt, Interlaken and Lucerne.

• The thread ‘6 days in Switzerland by car from Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.