Early May 6 days Zurich to Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 7:28:48 #810907

Hi

We are couples planning to visit Switzerland from 31st March to 5th of April, 2017 ( 5 nights, 6 days)

My itinerary as follows

Day1: on 31st March, I’ve planned to reach Zurich, explore Zurich and Rhine falls, travel to Lucerne(1 night stay).

Day 2: Mt.Titlis excursion and explore lucerne, travel to interlaken(1 night stay)

Day 3: Jungfrajoch excursion, go back to interlaken( I want Schilthon excursion as well but unable to plan on that properly, so thought of skipping) & move on to zermatt ( 1 night stay)

Day 4: Matterhorn view and travel to mountreux ( 2 nights stay)

Day 5: Explore Bernese Oberland

Day 6: Chillon castle, lake Geneva and little of Geneva , fly to Paris.

My questions are

1. Whether Swiss travel pass or Rent a car would help in saving on some money?

2. At what time does the train starts in the morning, till when will it run?

3. Is the time we’re coming is ideal to feel the snow? And I heard that during the time we are visiting, there is gonna be spring holidays for school children and it’ll crowded in places, is that true?

4. Is itinerary is looking good? I would want to cover all the major top sights of Switzerland, because we are not gonna visit again in our life time ( I skipped off Italy to explore The complete Switzerland to our best, actually we had planned to visit Italy, Switzerland and Paris)

I think I’ve posted pretty lots of questions to answer, but I appreciate everyone who would help me to make our trip memorable. I would be happy to take your suggestions and you can also customize my itinerary if needed to get the best out of it.

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 10:51:18 #859369

Hi Vived and welcome to MySwissAlps!

To really explore the best sights of Switzerland you would need a couple weeks – but we will try and help you plan a great trip!

I’ll try and answer your questions first before commenting on the itinerary.

1. It is best to travel by train in Switzerland. A lot of smaller towns and some attractions aren’t accessible by car and the trains run frequently! Take a look at the Swiss Travel Pass options here, where you will find where they are valid, prices and purchasing options.
    2. Typically around 5am but it depends on where you are going from and to. Once you know your routes enter them in the timetable here to see what your options are.
    3. You will definitely get snow when you go up in the mountains (such as Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn and Mt. Titlis– the higher the better of course.
    4. To see the top sights of Switzerland (ie the Alps etc) I would spend little to no time in Zurich and stay split your time in Luzern or Interlaken for 3 nights and then perhaps Montreux for 2 nights before heading off to Paris (I would skip Geneva or see the city during a stop on your way to Paris).

My quick thoughts on your itinerary:

March 31: straight to Luzern for 2 nights
    April 1: explore Luzern, Mt. Titlis (with good weather) and/or boat cruise on Lake Luzern
    April 2: Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn (whichever seems to have the best weather) and overnight in Interlaken
    April 3: Golden Pass train from Interlaken to Montreux and explore Montreux
    April 4: Chillon castle, boat cruise on lake Geneva, perhaps a vineyard among other activities
    April 5: Head to Paris via Geneva

I look forward to your thoughts, I hope this helps.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 11:31:43 #859370

Hello Lucas,

Thank you so much for your precious reply, i was very confused from past 3 days to organise it in a good way and you made it so easy.

i would also like to inform you that,

1. On 31st, we’ll be reaching early in the morning around 7am. So, what would you suggest me to do on that day?

2. I would like to Paraglide in Interlaken (optinal) your advise ?

3.On April 5th, I’ve the whole day because i’m heading to paris on 6th April, So, your suggestion off how to make use of 5th of April?

4. Is it worth to skip Zermatt, Because i heard that it is a top most place to visit in Switzerland?

Sorry that i’m putting across pretty lots of questions. But your suggestions helps me alot.

Thanks loads

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 17:19:49 #859371

Hi Vived,

On the first day you could explore Luzern, take a boat cruise or visit a mountain like Pilatus or Rigi (note weather can be poor in the mountains so its good to go on 31st if the weather is clear as it may not be good on April 1.

We have a link under “what to do” for Interlaken for a Paragliding company you can look into.

For April 5th take a look at the link for activities i post on April 4 (in my first post) as well as the Geneva and Montreux links – lots of things for you to do are listed there.

Zermatt is very nice (and pricey) but its hard not to want to see the Matterhorn! You will have to take out something on your original itinerary to make room for it….read through our Zermatt page to see if it is worth it too you.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 17:42:59 #859372

Thank you very much. It helped me out exactly the way I wanted my itinerary for my Switzerland trip.

Thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 19:41:27 #859373

Hi Vived,

Glad I could help! Also, you may want to look into the train to Paris – it can be a lot easier than flying!

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 8:04:38 #859374

I’ll definitely look into it.

thank you

• The thread ‘Early May 6 days Zurich to Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.