Help with 6 day itinerary from Lucerne in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2016 at 7:16:28 #808334

hi, i will be coming to switzerland on 5th may to 11th may and staying in lucerne for 6 nights along with my wife and 4 of my friends [couples] please help us plan our itinerary .And are we doing right thing staying 6 days in one place and we have booked studio apartments with kitchen so that we can cook and save euros. please help.

Sam Dhondaley

Bangalore. India.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    29 January 2016 at 10:50:16 #847995

Hi Sam,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! We would be glad to help, but please provide us with additional information first. There’s a lot of information on our website that helps you put together a plan (see our forum rules as well). Then please post that and let us know which specific questions you have. Apart from that it helps to know about your interests and where your apartments are located (address if possible).

Here are some links to get started. The main menu and search box are good starting point as well.

Hope to hear from you!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 February 2016 at 3:06:32 #847996

Hi Sam-

As Arno noted, it would be good to learn more about your specific interests.

Why did you choose to come to Switzerland, instead of somewhere else? Or, what do you really like to do that could be especially nice in Switzerland?

Then, from that, an itinerary might emerge for all to refine.

That would help to suggest places to stay…or, whether to spend all nights in Luzern. For 6 days, two locations for sleeping is not unreasonable.However, Luzern has good rail connections to many interesting places…not all, by any means, are short trips, however. And, there is alot to do in Luzern and nearby. May is a good time to visit…may have some variable weather, but it will be Spring at that altitude. In the high Alps, it will be the tail end of winter.

<<“we have booked studio apartments with kitchen so that we can cook and save euros. “>>

If you are on a careful budget, you are wise to try to save money on meals – eating can be expensive in Switzerland. Actually, you will save Swiss Franks, not Euros, because the currency of Switzerland is Swiss Franks. Euros are widely accepted in all major tourist areas, too. 😉

Of course, any time spent in buying groceries ( at Migros, Coop or Denner) and preparing meals means time is not being spent experiencing Switzerland ….

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2016 at 7:35:12 #847997

hi Arno, thanks for your reply. i will be landing in paris on 2nd may,after 3 days will land in zurich on 5th may.As we all are visiting switzerland for the first time we want to explore snow mountains and cable car rides and travel by train scenic routes. We have booked allmends apartment in luzern for 6 nights and we are planning to cook one time a day either for breakfast or for dinner. And my questions are

1] what kind of pass should we buy and are there any discounts if we book early.

2] places to visit.

Arno
    15478 posts
    4 February 2016 at 9:08:17 #847998

Hi Sam,

If I’m correct, the Allmend apartments are in the outskirts of Lucerne. But the underground train stop “Luzern Allmend/Messe” is at walking distance, so you can start your day trips there.

Are you flying from Paris to Zurich? If you haven’t booked yet, I’d recommend to take the high speed TGV Lyria train instead. It’s quicker and much more enjoyable. Also you can get off in Basel (border) and take a train straight to Lucerne rather than the detour via Zurich.

Did you take a look at the links I gave you? The link about Lucerne gives you lots of options for mountain visit and scenic trains. You’d best make a list of plans first. Based on that, you can select a pass as explained here. Discounts/promotions can all be found through the last link in my previous post. Click to a pass and to “Promotions” to find all options.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2016 at 7:22:07 #847999

Greetings from Bangalore

hi Arno, yes allmend apartment is in outskirts of lucerne and near to train station. we have already booked a flight to Zurich and Zurich to Paris we have booked TGV Lyria Train.

yes i have through your link which you have given its useful and thanks but still confused and not yet booked swiss travel pass, waiting for some promotions and discounts.

Arno
    15478 posts
    5 February 2016 at 8:39:41 #848000

Hi Sam,

Current Swiss Travel Pass promotions are on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ promotions. As you can see there’s one promo at the moment, that only applies to bookings which also include at least one point to point ticket. You can keep an eye on that page. Also be sure to set your account to receive new forum messages at least once a day, as we’ll post here in the forum in case new promotions become available. If there’s no interesting promo before your travel date you can always order through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, and pick “Online Ticket” when asked for delivery options so you can print your passes at home. You can do so until 3 working days before traveling.

• The thread ‘Help with 6 day itinerary from Lucerne in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.