7 day Switzerland trip in April 7 pax incl. kids

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2017 at 0:04:13 #810866

Hi!

We are planning a trip to Switzerland on 30th April for 7 nights. We are landing at Geneva on the 30th.

Qn no.1: we initially had planned to stay in zermatt for 2 nights but i just realised that the glacier palace are all closed. So is it worth the time to go.to zermatt. We dont intend to hike or ski. We are just going for sight seeing.

Qn no.2: the initial plan aftet zermatt was to head down to interlaken to chexk jungfraujoch and mt titlis. So we were thinking of taking the glacier express and change at visp to the local train. Is the area from zermatt to visp scenic? Or what would be a better suggestion?

Qn no.3: our itinery is as follows:

Day 1 arrive geneva airport and take airport train to lausanne explore lausanne and montreux. Castle d chillon and promenade

Day 2: to do the chocolate train ( is this good?)

Day 3: head to zermatt and explore gorges gorner. Reviews on this too.

Day 4: to do the glacier paradise and view matterhorn

Day 5: head to interlaken and explore town

Day 6: mt titlis

Day 7: head down to lucerne

Day 8: drive back to geneva

So day 1 and 2 is pretty much settled. We need some yelp from.day 3 to day 8.. is this itinery good? Shld we elimaite or include some towns?

Hoping for some valuable advice!!!

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2017 at 17:22:39 #859233

Hi Suhaidah and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Q#1: I think perhaps one full day in Zermatt will suffice. You can explore the town and check out the Matterhorn from Gornergrat.

Q#2: Perhaps if you shortened your stay in Zermatt you can take the Glacier Express from Zermatt all the way to Chur and then head to Luzern or Interlaken. However, I think the trip to Visp on its own is worth it of you stick to your original plan.

Itinerary:

Day 1 is very busy…I might skip one Lausanne and just do Montreux and Chillon – but no more than one town I think.
    What day were you going to visit the Jungfraujoch on?
    I think as non-skiers and hikers Mt. Titlis is a good option when you are in the area.

Are you driving everywhere? Please note some towns and attractions are not reachable by car (like Jungfraujoch and Zermatt is car free).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2017 at 0:56:59 #859234

Hi Lucas!

Thank you for the reply.

1. We will probably go with your advice and spend just 1 day in zermatt. Is the Gorner Gorges good? I heard there are waterfalls there? Which accomodation do you recommend in Zermatt?

2. I realise that the glacier express does go all the way to Andermatt. In that case would it be better to travel to visp then chnage to a local train or travel via glacier express to andermatt then change?

3. Yes day 1 seems alot. We will prob skip lausanne and just stick to montreux.

New qns:

4. So if i were to choose between visiting wither jungfraujoch mountain or mt titlis, which would you recommend. We just want to see snow and check out the scenery. No hiking or skiing. And if mt titlis, should i stay in interlaken,wengen or lucerne?

5. We still have not decided whether to do this trip by train or car. We are a group of 7. What would you suggest looking at our itinery. We would like to see scenery but also want thw trip to be hassle free as we are travelling with kids and reasonably priced.

6. On the last day 7th may we will be in lucerne. We will take an early morning train to geneva to catch our flight at 530pm. How long does the train journey take from lucerne to geneva?

Thank you lucas. Appreciate your help tons!!!

Annika
    7121 posts
    23 February 2017 at 11:36:11 #859235

Hi Suhaidah,

Let’s take a look at your questions.

1. I’d personally prefer the Gornergrat mentioned by Lucas for the best views of the Matterhorn, especially if skies are clear. I haven’t experienced the gorges though, so I can’t comment on them.

2. I’m not sure how you’d want to incorporate the Glacier Express in your revised schedule. Do you want to make a round trip from Zermatt of do you aim to use it to transfer to Interlaken/Lucerne? In the latter case, you can either travel towards Interlaken via Brig/Goppenstein/Kandersteg using the scenic Lötschberg Regio Express or to Lucerne using the Glacier Express as far as Andermatt, and then change to local trains to Lucerne. Please see “Don’t have time to do the full route?” at our Glacier Express page and consult the timetable to plan your trips.

4. Jungfraujoch is close to Interlaken, Titlis to Lucerne. So I’d pick one of these base towns and do some local trips from there. You’d best compare the pages I linked to decide for yourself. They’re really different and opinions on which is better differ. Also check out the “Route” tabs for descriptions of how to get there and links to timetables.

5. Train traveling is generally the preferred method of traveling, but it all comes down to you personal preferences. Did you read myswissalps.com/carver sustrain?

6. You’d best consult the timetable. If you want to use the scenic Golden Pass route, your journey will take longer. Enter Meiringen, Zweisimmen and Montreux as via-stations in the timetable in that case.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 11:11:35 #859236

Hi all.

so we have somewhat decided on our itinery. Appreciate your views on it.

Day 1: Arrive Geneva, visit Jet d ea and drive to Montrex for the night.

Day2: proceed for the chocolate train

day 3: drive to tasch, park at matterhorn terminal and take the cogwheel train to zermatt. Check into hotel. Proceed to gornergrout for views of matterhorn and if time permits to do gorner gorges.

Day4: drive to lauterbrunnen. To explore neighbouring village, waterfalls etc.

Day5: full day soend at jungfraujoch.

Day 6: to visit a nearby farm in interlaken on the way to Zurich.

Day 7: day trip to rhine falls and black forest.

Day 8: drive back to Geneva.

Is this itinery too ambitious or is it doable? Also any good farms to recommend that will be interesting for kids?

Thanks a ton!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 18:32:11 #859237

Hi Suhaidah,

This looks quite reasonable to me – I think it will be a very nice trip. I don’t have any information on farms to recommend however.Perhaps you would be interested in the Open-Air museum near Lake Brienz?

Lucas

• The thread ‘7 day Switzerland trip in April 7 pax incl. kids’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.