7 days in Switzerland in June – itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 3:19:00 #811610

My husband and I are planning a trip to Switzerland in mid to late June. We would like to visit several places and likely spend a night at each. I have been looking up how to do this and am very overwhelmed with all the different train options.

Our hope is to start in Montreux and travel on the Golden Pass train spending a night in Interlaken then travel on to Lucern for a night. My hope was to then travel to St. Moritz. I saw that we can travel on the Glacier pass, but started to get confused as we saw the Bernina express is also an option. I hoped to spend a day (or 2) hiking around St. Moritz and then take the Bernina express to Lugano.

We are looking for guidance for travel, costs of train, if the Switzerland half pass would be helpful to keep costs down and if you had any hotel suggestions again to keep costs down. We like hiking and wanted to visit several sites at each place (i.e. Rockers-de-Naye, castle of chillon, cog railway in lucern (golden pass), etc).

Any guidance would be much appreciated!!

kind regards,

michelle

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 8:21:36 #862512

Hi Michelle and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can definitely take the Golden Pass train from Montreux to Interlaken, stay a night or 2 and continue on to Luzern.

From Luzern (local German spelling) you can take a regional train to St. Moritz (the train will take the same route as the panoramic trains heading into St. Mortiz from Chur) and from there take the Bernina Express to Tirano.

Have a look at the town links above for more information on what to do and recommended hotel options.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 13:54:34 #862513

Hi Lucas,

Thanks so much for your reply. We were also hoping you could tell us if the Swiss pass would be helpful for our trip. Here is what I was thinking about for the first let of our trip, so please let me know if this works.

Day 1. Arrive in Montreaux (not sure and we will likely be coming from Lake Maggiore: castle of Chillon and Rochers-de-Naye. How early do we have to arrive to be able to fit both in to one day? Do you have any other recommendations in Montreaux? We love being on the water and saw boat rides are also an option. We will spend the night in Montreaux. Will the Swiss pass help with any of these activities?

Day 2: Leave Montreaux and arrive in Interlaken. I saw on someone elses thread that there were other areas that were recommended for scenery. We are looking to hike or some outdoor activity in the Interlaken region and are very open to suggestions. I read a post about some underground waterfalls that sounded great, but wanted your opinion. Spend night in Interlaken.

Day 3: Leave Interlaken and arrive in Luzern. We are hoping to do the Cograilway to Pilatus Klum. It sounds like it is a full day, but again wanted to see if this would work and if the pass would help cut down costs.

Day 4: Leave Luzern and head to St. Moritz. This seemed like a full day on the train, so we will not likely do anything. We plan to spend the night in St. Moritz and then wanted to go hiking the next day. Any suggestions? If needed, we can spend another night here and then head out to Tirano, then on to Lugano via the Bernina Express. My questions are if from Lugano do you think we should spend the night and hike around Lugano the next day or continue on to Zermitt for views and hikes of Matterhorn? Also again, will the Swiss pass help with any of the costs.

This will cover about 5-7 days. We have not booked anything as of yet because we are still trying to figure out what will work for this trip. We have never been to Switzerland and although there is a lot we want to do, we want to make sure it is possible.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Michelle

Arno
    15482 posts
    30 April 2017 at 20:28:07 #862514

Hi Michelle,

For recommendations in Montreux, please see the link in Lucas’s post. Chillon castle takes 2 to 4 hours, a trip up to Rochers-de-Naye takes at least 3 hours.

Interlaken itself is not very scenic but the region is. Please see the Jungfrau Region page for suggestions regarding other villages and hiking.

Luzern to St. Moritz takes about 4 hours (see the timetable) unless you prefer a more scenic route like a combination of the Gotthard Panorama Express and Glacier Express.

Regarding the pass: the SwissPass is for Swiss citizens only, it is the Swiss Travel Pass that is worth your consideration. It includes a lot of free traveling, discounted traveling and free museum entrance. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass for all details on how it works, what’s included and where to buy. The Mount Pilatus ride is free with this pass, for example.

My general advice is to not move to a different town every day. Stay as long as you can as the weather is an important factor. A rainy day often means you can’t visit peaks to enjoy the views, so some slack is very helpful.

• The thread ‘7 days in Switzerland in June – itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.