8 days France-Switzerland Tour

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2011 at 9:45:07 #804543

Me, my hubby, mom and dad(60+) are going to Paris in first week of August. Staying in Paris for 2 days and will leave for Switzerland. Need help for places to cover in Switzerland in 5days.
    We will leave Paris on 6th Aug for Switzerland. And will have to come back to Paris to catch 7:00am train on 12th Aug.
    We do not want a very hectic trip as we are travelling with parents. We are interested in Choclate train too. Also suggest which pass should we buy.
    Please HELP!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2011 at 13:10:54 #833663

We have not been to Paris. But we are planing to take 2days hopon-hopoff bus to cover most of the attractions. My parents are not much interested in museums.

How about the below itinerary-

Aug 6: paris>geneva>montreux (overnight montreux)
    Aug 7: Choclate train (overnight montreux)
    Aug 8: Golden Pass montreux>interlaken (overnight interlaken)
    Aug 9: Jungfrauch (overnight interlaken)
    Aug 10: Schilthorn cable car and Trummelbach Falls (overnight interlaken)
    Aug 11: boat trip on either Brienzersee or Thunersee (overnight in train to Paris)
    Aug 12: Paris

Any suggestions? What about glaciers? Is it possible to add Lucerne and Zermatt to my itinerary? Does it seems like a perfect itinerary? Am I missing any activity/place that should not be missed.

I am thinking of taking Swiss pass and not Eurail pass. But which Swiss pass should I take(2 adults, 1 youth, 1senior)?

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 July 2011 at 10:05:04 #833664

Hi beautyofsprings! I see that you’ll be spending one day less in Switzerland than in your original itinerary. In that case, an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass might be a bit too much, unless you like the idea of free traveling without having to buy separate (discounted) tickets for each trip. The Swiss Half Fare Card is a good alternative, and I think it’s the cheapest solution for your plans.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2011 at 11:51:57 #833665

Hi I have changed my itinerary little bit

Aug 6: paris>geneva>montreux (overnight montreux)
    Aug 7: Choclate train (overnight montreux)
    Aug 8: Golden Pass montreux>lucerne(overnight lucerne)
    Aug 9: Titlis (overnight lucerne)
    Aug 10: overnight lucerne
    Aug 11: to Paris
    Aug 12: Paris

for this new itinerary, which pass should I take? Or should I take any pass at all? Any thing you guys recommend going or any changes in itinerary you suggest..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2011 at 15:12:00 #833666

Hi! I’m spending almost and month and a half in Switzerland and other countries near by. I’m in Switzerland now and after reading your post I am happy to share some suggestions! 🙂 First off, have you decided on what hotels yet?  If not, I could make some suggestions in Montreux due to the fact we are staying there right now. On the 7th if you have time I would suggest seeing the Chillion Castle.  If you get the Swiss Pass it is free to get in! Although my family and I thought it was very interesting, but since your parents do not like museums I do not know if they would like it. It is certainly worth the consideration. Today we did the golden passage, and it was beautiful! One down side is the train ride is long. We took a break in a small town called Gstaad and were very impressed! Its cute cobblestone streets and shops entertained us for a while. A train comes every hour on the golden pass route, so you can have a nice quick visit. After taking the panoramic and the classic trains I think the panoramic was more enjoyable. Just wondering what you plan on doing/ why you are going to Titlis?  I have not heard anything about it. Tomorrow my family and I are going to lucerne, so if you want I will let you in on the secrets to the city 😉 aha Overall your trip looks like a lot of fun. I hope this helps! 

P.s. If u have time (but it look like you haven’t) the city of Bern is really nice and defiantly worth a vist.

Also for the passes if you get the Swiss pass you can get on and off every train without dealing with getting tickets. With the half price you will most likely have to buy tickets before every train you take. Lastly, have you decided on first or second class tickets?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2011 at 22:23:30 #833667

Hi. I have a question around train tickets. Do I need to buy train tickets in advance or there are plenty of seats available on any route at short notice? I am going to Montreaux on Thursday and any response by tomo afternoon will be helpful.

We plan to take ferry from Geneva to Montreaux. Does anyone know the route from train station to harbour? And do we need to book ferry tickets in advance?

Is Swiss half fare card a good option for my itinery mentioned above?

Annika
    7124 posts
    3 August 2011 at 17:29:04 #833668

Hi. You don’t have to book tickets for regular train trips in advance. Boat tickets can mostly be purchased at the spot too. You do need reservations for the Chocolate Train and the Golden Pass. Yes, I still think a Swiss Half Fare Card suits your plans. But a 4 day Swiss Pass, starting at August 7, would be worth your money too.

You can best check the route from the station to the harbour using the timetable or an online map, such as maps.search.ch.

Caitlin, thank you for your great input! I hope you’re enjoying your stay in Switzerland.

• The thread ‘8 days France-Switzerland Tour’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.