8 Days Itinerary – Swiss

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2015 at 11:18:24 #807154

Hi,

My friends are travelling to Switzerland from 22nd April till 29th April, was trying to find the best possible destinations and the best Swiss rail pass for them, but I have few queries, please help to guide on that.

So the plan I made is:

Day 1 – They land in Geneva(I stay in Geneva) from Paris a day before(21st night). On 22nd – I will take them to Geneva main attractions and later they take a train to Zermatt. Stay in Zermatt.

Day 2 – Visit Matterhorn and then take Glacier train from Zermatt to Chur. (I dont see a connectivity from Chur to Interlaken, please help to know the route from Chur to Interlaken?)

Day 3: Stay in Interlaken and take day trips from Interlaken -> Jungfrau

Day 4: Interlaken to Engelberg to Mount Titlis, come back via Lucern

Day 5: Interlaken to Bern (will it be possible to do Thun on the same day?)

Day 6: Interlaken to Rhine Falls –> I am not able to find the connectivity here or do you suggest to stay in Lucern/Zurich to reach Rhine falls and Titisee falls ?

Day 7: Explore Zurich.

Day 8: Explore Zurich and take the flight in the afternoon from Zurich to Bombay.

In addition to the above gaps, I understand the Swiss Travel pass will be the best choice, but I have questions on that as well:

1. With the Swiss Travel pass, I will have to pay 50% on the cable cars in Matterhorn, Titlis and Jungfrau correct?

2. With the Swiss Travel Pass, I will have to book a seat reservation on trains like Glacier and Jungfrau, correct? which will be upto 33chf and (??) respectively. Do you still think Swiss Travel pass is the best choice?

Also, please suggest if there is anything I am missing in terms of the best places to be visited, as I would like them to spend the 8 days perfectly. 🙂

Thanks a ton,

Wani.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    30 April 2015 at 15:56:42 #842801

Hi Wani,

Thanks for posting here. Is this a trip for next year? As April 22 to 29 have just passed.

The plans for day 2 are not really realistic. The Glacier Express trains all depart pretty early in the morning, so no time for sightseeing before departure. Apart from that, it takes close to 10 hours to travel from Zermatt to Chur and then to Interlaken. Train schedules can be found in the timetable.

Whether Bern and Thun fit into one day is a real personal decision. If they just want to see Bern for a few hours, it can certainly be done as Thun is en route. But there’s enough to see to keep yourself busy for days.

As for your questions:

1. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validity for all the discounts.
    2. Only the Glacier Express requires seat reservations. Please see here and the Glacier Express page I linked to above. This applies to all travelers, regardless whether they travel with a Swiss Travel Pass or another pass/ticket.

Swiss Travel Pass purchase options are listed on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/price. Since you are in Switzerland, be sure to set the country on that page to India and click ‘Show results’. Then you’ll see your friends can get the pass cheaper if they buy it online.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2015 at 18:33:07 #842802

Thank you Annika, its my bad the dates are of May this year and not April.

Let me reschedule the plan according to what you have said about the Zermatt (day 2).

• The thread ‘8 Days Itinerary – Swiss’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.