8 days Switzerland itinerary family of 3 in April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2017 at 12:28:00 #810871

We are arriving to Zurich airport on April 8,17.

our itinerary for family of 3, with 16 years old son, is as follows:

day 1: Zurich airport to Lausanne, explore Lausanne

day 2:day trip to Chamonix – Mont Blanc

day 3: Mountruex and Chillon castle

day4: train to Interlaken, explore Interlaken

day 5: trip to Jangfrau from Interlaken

day 6: trip to Bern from Interlaken

Day 7: train from Interlaken to Zurich, city tour of Zurich

Day 8: trip to Lucern from Zurich

day9: flight back to US

Please let us know what is your opinion on this itinerary, any comments would be appreciated

also we need an advice / help on planning day trip to Jangfrau from Interlaken , And planning trip to Chamonix from Lausanne

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2017 at 17:55:23 #859248

Hi Jkaplinsky and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I like that itinerary very much – not too busy.

Here are some tips and information on Lausanne – it is fairly quick to Chamonix – another town to consider is Montreux.

I think I would visit Luzern (local German Spelling) before moving on to Zurich at the end of your trip. I might stay there actually rather than Zurich… or take a night from Interlaken.
    Keep weather in mind for Jungfraujoch or other mountain trips. If the weather is poor there is no reason to go up (an expensive trip to see clouds etc). Try and keep one day flexible as a back-up.

See the pages I linked for more information on the areas and how to get there.

Are you traveling by train for this trip? Have you looked into rail passes like the Swiss Travel Pass? You can add on the Family Card and your 16 year old will travel free with you. You also can’t drive in some towns or reach some attractions by car.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2017 at 19:40:19 #859249

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for helping me out. the teen is already 16, so he’s not eligible for the free pass, but we would still like to travel by train. Based on my calculations, it’s still worth it to buy the 8 day Swiss rail pass for three people. You said the Itinerary isn’t too busy. What could you suggest we add to make it busier? Thank you again .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2017 at 6:25:21 #859250

Hi Jkaplinsky,

Have you planned anything specific in the towns – I felt there’s a lot more you can do and still not be busy :). Definitely so in Lausanne, Montreux and Interlaken (I am not so familiar with Bern & Zurich). Pls visit the city specific pages that Lucas has referred above, and you will find possibilities to your liking.

On trip to Chamonix – We were based in Lausanne, and went to Chamonix by train – about 2 ½ hours. That goes via Montreux – do consider that in planning your logistics for Day 2 & Day3 – I am not sure where you are based in that period.

Suresh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2017 at 7:09:31 #859251

Hi Jkaplinsky,

I wouldn’t go out of my way and plan to make your trip busier no. 🙂

Perhaps read through our town information pages to see what you might like to do in the area. That way you are prepared with ideas with what to do when you are there.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass then you can hop on any train you want when you are in-country and set off without worrying about pre-purchasing tickets etc. It keeps you very flexible.

Lucas

• The thread ‘8 days Switzerland itinerary family of 3 in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.