9 day Itinerary Questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2014 at 21:31:20 #806563

Hi!

We (our family of four) are planning on traveling to Switzerland during our children’s Autumn break. Our children are 4 and nearly 6, at the time of travel and they are avid travelers and always up for new adventures. We live in the UK, and would like to attempt the itinerary below. (Then please see questions below)

Day 1 – Saturday, October 18 LHR to Switzerland – Geneva
    Train to Montreux – stay the night

Day 2 – Sunday, October 19
    Swiss Chocolate Train

Day 3 – Monday, October 20
    Morning train to Interlaken
    Check into hotelExplore Interlaken-boat ride toward sunset

Day 4 – Tuesday, October 21
    Day at Jungfraujoch

Day 5 – Wednesday, October 22
    Explore Wegen or Grindelwald

Day 6 – Thursday, October 23
    Morning Train to Lucern- Stanserhorn – http://www.stanserhorn.ch – with the historic funicular and the brand new Cabriolet (convertible) cable car.
    – cruises on lake Lucerne partly with steamboats – http://www.lakelucerne.ch- the medeaval citywall and it’s towers/gates (musegg wall) around the old town.

Day 7 – Friday, October 24 Mt Titlis or Mt Pilatus
    Thinking Mt Titlis
    A trip to Engelberg for Mt Titlis also can allow you a few hours to stroll that very pretty little town, which is recommended. The train ride to/from is a remarkable journey by itself.
    Be sure to check out the extremely impressive interior of the Abbey church in Engleberg, which is completely unidentified by any signage, but the people there can help direct you around.

Night train to Zurich

Day 8 -Saturday, October 25
    Rhine Falls (Schaffhausen)

Day 9 – Sunday, October 26
    explore Zurich if time permits prior to flight Zurich to LHR
    **We will most likely be back in Zurich in December/January for a few days

Questions:
    1- We would really, really like to ski at Jungfraujoch. We realize everything is dependent on the unknown factor of weather, but would this be possible?

2- Can you ski at Mt Titlis?

3- Getting the 8 day rail pass the best with the family card (I believe that is free, and then our children travel free – minus the extra trains we would have to pay for to get us to Jungfraujoch, etc)? We are assuming we can buy day passes or airport passes for public transport in Zurich for the 9th day?

4- Any thing we should necessarily take out? We try and make our travels interesting for our children and therefore add the Chocolate train days, skiing, etc.

5- We are open to any other advice/opinions.

Thank you so much in advance.

Kind Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 August 2014 at 12:34:38 #840802

Hi JJH02, welcome to MySwissAlps!

As for your questions:

1) Yes, there is a Snow Fun Park where you can ski and do other snow activities: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch.

2) There are snow activities in the Glacier Park, but no skiing as far as I know: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis.

Note that skiing requires experience, it’s not something to try for a few hours. Other snow activities like snow tubing and sledging can be done by anyone.

3) An 8-day Swiss Saver Pass does indeed match your plans, and the Swiss Family Card is free. You can get it from the official shop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/products/swisspass. There is no shipping fee to the UK, and payment can be done in GBP (so no exchange rate costs). All points of sale are listed at the Swiss Pass page. For Zurich, a Zurich Card may come in handy (info and links are at our Zurich page). It also allows a free ride up to the Uetliberg.

4) I think your itinerary looks fine. Just make sure you’re flexible and adjust your plans according to the weather. Personally I would add a hike and not spend much time on the town of Engelberg, but of course these are choices that depend on personal interests.

I hope this was useful. Enjoy your holidays!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2014 at 13:08:16 #840803

Your itenary looks – really – verry exitefull, especially for children.

To reply on your 3rd question, I’ll send you following link:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/nl-be/home.html

Did you try already the other informations, published on the same site? Whenever you still would have question on travelling in Switserland, you can ask them “[email protected].

Have a nice trip!

Bergwanderer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2014 at 13:14:16 #840804

Thank you so all much for your replies. We are very excited about visiting Switzerland!

Kind Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2014 at 19:45:15 #840805

Hi!

Sorry, I have a new question. I was just about to buy the 8 day pass and noticed the Half-Fare Card- Would that be a better deal for us or should we still go with the 8 day pass?

Thank you in advance again!

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 August 2014 at 20:32:58 #840806

Hi JJH02,

The major difference between the two passes is that the Swiss Half Fare Card requires you to buy tickets for each trip, at half the fare, whereas the Swiss Pass allows free unlimited trips and you don’t need tickets (mountain trips are discounted). This guide explains how to determine which pass will work out cheaper overall.

• The thread ‘9 day Itinerary Questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.