A tad “on” the beaten path, part 5, Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 18:08:29 #813053

We left Kandersteg the next morning taking a train to Spiez, then sunny Interlaken Ost, where we could see hang gliders landing. Thunnersee's blue green water was brilliant. On to Lauterbrunnen and crossed the street from the train station to the gondola up to Grutschalp; then a short train to Murren. We have stayed at Hotel Blumental three times and love it each time. We asked for a balcony room facing the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau…and while we were sure they were there, we just couldn’t see them due to mists.

Two rainy days provided us the opportunity to see a number of Lauterbrunnen Valley’s 72 waterfalls. After checking in we took the gondola from Murren down to Stechelburg, short bus trip to Trummelbach Falls. The falls were just pounding due to all the rain…perfect day to see them. The three big mountains mentioned above drain down into these falls. Some folks were disappointed as I believe children under 6 (?) were not allowed.

Took a bus on into Lauterbrunnen and walked to the 15 minute hike up Staubbach Falls. Got just a bit wet going behind the falls, but it was fun. There are hiking poles provided at the bottom of the hill which are helpful. It is free.

That evening we had one of our two “required” meals in Switzerland…fondue. The La Grotte restaurant did a marvelous job: meat, veggies, even fruit and all kinds of sauces. The waiter asked us if we could guess what liquid we were cooking them all in…bouillon. It was delicious with flan for dessert.

Next day was still rainy so we opted for boat trips on Thunersee and Brienzersee. Interlaken‘s train stations are each right at the harbor and have signs to the boats as well as the trains. Free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Our pizza challenge continued that night at the Eiger Guesthouse Pub in Murren where we ran into about 10 other folks – 3 tables – from Ohio in the USA (…and one from Michigan…). Wonderful conversations. We did note that if you choose to eat about 5:30 or 6, which we do at home, you can typically find a seat anywhere. But if you go later, reservations…at La Grotte and even at the Eiger Guesthouse Pub, would be a good idea.

Next morning at 6:30 we checked the webcam and the top of Schilthorn was clear so we skipped breakfast and took the gondola up. The clouds filled the valley below, but above them it was clear. We had on long sleeve shirts, fleece jacket, light down jacket and rain jacket for warmth & were very comfortable. Also had a knit hat and light gloves. We wandered around all the James Bond 007 displays which were actually much better than we had expected. We had watched both On Her Majesty’s Secret Service and the Eiger Sanction with Clint Eastwood just before our trip.

Did the thrill walk on top of Shilthorn as the one at Birg on the way down was still in the fog. Both are free. Then we collected our luggage in Murren and headed across the valley to Wengen.

This is now July 3rd and up to this point we have not had to wait in lines for gondolas, funiculars, or stand in crowded trains. We had been concerned that it would be far more crowded than it was. Wonderful!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 5:51:41 #868837

Loved reading all of your trip reports! We were in Switzerland about the same time as you and were at some of the same places, but you had a number of places on your itenerary that we did not, but wish we had! Thanks for sharing!

Also, I read your train misadventure to my family . That will be a story for you to tell for a long time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 8:36:32 #868838

Another great read! Glad you had clear weather on top of the Schilthorn – it’s a wonderful view.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 8:56:48 #868839

>> We had watched both On Her Majesty’s Secret Service and the Eiger Sanction with Clint Eastwood just before our trip.

There’s another good film filmed in the area: “North Face”, with Benno Fürmann and Florian Lukas.

There’s a description of the plot on Wikipedia, and a trailer on YouTube

tinyurl.com/ydapva5h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n48DD_mKB6w

Gripping story and lots of good footage of the Eiger, Kleine Scheidegg, the train up to the Jungfraujoch etc!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 20:55:42 #868840

Hi AlpenRose…as is evident from my trip…I followed your examples a number of times. Thank you so much!

Does the movie you mentioned, “Northface” have English subtitles? It looks thrilling.

I am also looking for the Swiss movie “A Bell for Ursli” with English subtitles…I looked while I was in Guarda and other places, but only saw it in German. I know travelers on Swiss Air about 6 months ago could watch it as one of the selections on the plane with English subtitles. I have looked on Amazon and just can’t find it. It was supposed to be filmed around Guarda.

Thank you.

OHGeologist

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 6:51:24 #868841

>> Hi AlpenRose…as is evident from my trip…I followed your examples a number of times. Thank you so much!

You’re welcome! I’m glad you found them useful.

>> Does the movie you mentioned, “Northface” have English subtitles? It looks thrilling.

Yes, Amazon has the subtitled version.

>> I am also looking for the Swiss movie “A Bell for Ursli” with English subtitles…I looked while I was in Guarda and other places, but only saw it in German. I know travelers on Swiss Air about 6 months ago could watch it as one of the selections on the plane with English subtitles. I have looked on Amazon and just can’t find it.

I saw it with English subtitles on the plane on the way over to Zürich in August last year too, but it was under the title “Little Mountain Boy”. I also bought the DVD (in Swiss German, no subtitles) while I was in the Engadin. I haven’t seen an English-subtitled version so far.

>> It was supposed to be filmed around Guarda.

The publicity shots were done in Guarda, in very recognisable locations, but actual filming (or at least most of it) was done in nearby Sur En, as Guarda was apparently too busy!

There is information here in German about the filming locations (with a drop down box at the top of the page to get a Google translation into English).

http://www.engadin.com/natur-kultur/kultur-kunst/schellen-ursli/drehorte-schellen-ursli-film/?R=1&S=1

Have you seen the trailer?

http://www.schellen-ursli.com/

There was a new Heidi film out last year, too, with Anuk Steffen as Heidi, Quirin Agrippi as Peter, and Bruno Ganz as the grandfather. It was mostly filmed in Latsch, above Bergün. The “Frankfurt” scenes were filmed in Quedlinburg und Wernigerode in Germany.

Amazon has it on DVD with English subtitles, or as a streamed version dubbed into English.

Here is the trailer (in German):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGwJvBhoDA8

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 17:17:39 #868842

Pic of one of the 72 waterfalls in Lauterbrunnen Valley…note the size of the people…

One of Trummelbach Falls.

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    29 August 2017 at 11:11:20 #868843

Great capture with people for context, amazing. We head there shortly 😀

• The thread ‘A tad “on” the beaten path, part 5, Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.