Accident during Swiss trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2020 at 13:35:36 #825747

Switzerland trip was a great adventure. Until I fell hard down a mountain and broke my femur. The worst thing that could have happened to me on this vacation

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    8 December 2020 at 14:09:44 #934528

Hi BurgessCam,

Thank you for joining MySwissAlps.

I am so sorry to hear about your accident on the mountain. I hope you have recovered well from your injuries.

Unfortunately accidents can happen anywhere and I do hope this hasn’t put you off from visiting again.

Take care and regards,

Anna

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 December 2020 at 17:18:20 #934529

Hello BurgessCam,

That’s unfortunate! Can you share more about your itinerary and activities until the accident? That would still make a great trip report for others to read.

mestettler
    Participant
    27 posts
    9 December 2020 at 3:20:47 #934530

Hello BurgessCam,

I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I’m a retired orthopedic nurse, so I know how much pain you endured. Breaking the biggest, strongest bone in your body is a long recovery. I too hope you are doing well and are back on your feet.

Since I began traveling Switzerland 🇨🇭frequently, I make sure I have insurance through Allianz to cover problems with the flights, and any health emergencies. It’s not very expensive, and worth every penny to me since I worked as a nurse in a Level One Trauma Center, until I retired several years ago.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2020 at 13:39:44 #934531

Hi there,
    Me too, I am so sorry to hear that you had this accident, BurgessCam.
    Mestettler, you’re right: insurance is very important. Although it cannot prevent accidents, it will be very useful in the case of an accident. Thanks for your advice!

Ildiko
    Emergency numbers and more information can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/websites

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    10 December 2020 at 11:59:48 #934532

I, also, fell and fractured my wrist while climbing a mountain a couple years ago. I did not have insurance, but have to say I was taken care of very well by the Swiss health system for minimal cost, when comparing to what it would have been in the USA. I was impressed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2020 at 20:09:31 #934533

Yes, I heard that an accident or any medical problem can be very expensive in the USA without any insurances. I guess everything depends on what we compare to each other.

It usually worth to have insurance in Switzerland, especially if anything bad happens.

Ildiko

Lijianhughes
    Participant
    44 posts
    24 March 2021 at 7:45:01 #934534

My wife fell down from her bicycle on her head, in our last day in Switzerland…she lost conscious for about half a minute and was brought to the emergency by an ambulance. But God must be blessing us she was discharged in the same day with just a few stiches, though recommended by the doctor to monitor for another 2 days before taking our long hours flight back home. I had to stay awake over night to settle the rebooking of our flight but on the good side, we got 2 bonus vacation days in the beautiful country!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2021 at 13:36:04 #934535

Hi Lijianhughes,

you’ve been lucky in the misfortune then. I am glad that nothing more serious has happened, although I can imagine you worried a lot for her.

Thanks for sharing your story with us,
    Ildiko

• The thread ‘Accident during Swiss trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.