Accommodation suggestion for a group of 8

Accommodation suggestion for a group of 8

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
kargee
kargee
25 posts
Apr 2, 2016 - 3:07 AM

Hi,

I am looking for suggestion of an accommodation for my family, 7 adults and 1 kid aged 5. We prefer to have 3 bedrooms.

We plan to arrive on 23 July and have yet to decide when to check out, most likely 8 or 9 nights. Our budget is about 350CHF (max) per night for the group.

These are the places we plan to visit: 1 day @ Interlaken & Jungfrau; 1 day @ Lausanne, Vevey & Montreux; 1 day @ Zermatt & Matterhorn; 1 day @ Bern; 1 day@ Locarno & Lugano; 1 day @ Luzern & Mt. Rigi; 1 day @ Zurich & Schaffhausen.

Is it advisable to stay in one place and travel to different places rather than moving around with luggages?

Arno
Arno
7722 posts
expert &
Apr 2, 2016 - 8:11 AM

Hi kargee,

I would definitely not move to a different accommodation each day. That means you only have half a day left for sightseeing. Personally I would choose 2 base towns for 8-9 nights. E.g. Interlaken and Luzern. From there, you can reach a lot of the places on your list. Perhaps not all of them, but there are plenty of alternatives.

Note that apartments/holiday homes are hard to find for less than one week. Hotels and hostels can be booked by the night. That could be a reason to stay in one place only.

Last modified on Apr 2, 2016 - 8:13 AM by Arno
kargee
kargee
25 posts
Apr 2, 2016 - 9:07 AM

Thanks a lot, Arno.

I find that Zermatt is quite isolated from other places. What place would you recommend to stay if we would like to visit Matterhorn but not staying in Zermatt as it may be expensive?

Arno
Arno
7722 posts
expert &
Apr 2, 2016 - 2:13 PM

Hi kargee,

Villages close to Zermatt that may be cheaper are Täsch, Randa and St. Niklaus, for example. They're perfect for Zermatt but still far away from the rest of the country. There is cheaper accommodation in Zermatt too, see here.

Interlaken would be a central place where you can easily spend a week or more and visit both local attractions and various attractions across Switzerland. Zermatt is 2h15 by train from Interlaken. So a long day trip would be possible.

kargee
kargee
25 posts
Apr 3, 2016 - 3:50 AM in reply to Arno

Sure, will definitely check out those places.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions, Arno.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016