Accommodation options in Jungfrau region?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 2:18:51 #810799

My son and I are coming in July…Plan on spending 3 days / 2 nights in Bernese Oberland. Would like to experience the Jungfraujoch, take lift up to Shilthorn, as well as do some hiking. We want to stay up in mountain villages both nights. Here are my questions…any feedback or advice would be MUCH appreciated:

1. Recommended town to base out of. Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen are two that I have heard would be good. which one would be best? Others to consider?

2. Don’t like to be on main drag with other places around. Prefer off the beaten path or at least on outskirts of towns. Any recommendations for places?

3. Hotels, Hostels, or airbnbs?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 7:59:21 #858969

Hi Tschultz20,

1. Phew tough choices. I haven’t been to either town personally. I can offer you more choices to make this choice even harder! Sorry. Take a look at our information pages on Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen which may help you decide, as well as Mürren and Wengen.

I’m sure other members can chime in who have stayed in one or more of those towns.
    Here is a general information page on the Bernese Oberland and Jungfrau regions if you haven’t seen them already. These pages also list nearby attractions and hiking options as well.

2.You can find a list of our recommended hotels on each of the town pages I listed above. Again, I can’t offer personal experiences at this time.

3. Here is some general information on different types of accommodation in Switzerland. We aren’t particularly big fans of Airbnb.

I hope that helps get you started!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 3:22:40 #858970

2. Don’t like to be on main drag with other places around. Prefer off the beaten path or at least on outskirts of towns. Any recommendations for places?

There’s a small family-run hotel on the outskirts of Wengen that I have stayed in and really like. It’s the Hotel Bellevue. I initially chose it based on a comment in Kim’s report about Wengen and the Jungfrau Region (thanks Kim!): Kim said it had the best view in Wengen. She wasn’t wrong!

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

http://www.bellevue-wengen.ch/en/home.html

If you do stay at the Bellevue, book a south-facing room with a view of the Jungfrau. It costs a bit more, but is absolutely worth it. I would recommend eating dinner there on at least one night. In warm weather, you can eat on the terrace, which also looks onto that beautiful view, and the food is excellent. You might be lucky enough to see the Alpenglow one night at sunset (it doesn’t happen every night).

The hotel is situated in the north-western outskirts of the village, about 10 minutes’ walk from the Wengen railway station. The hotel will transport you and your luggage between the hotel and the railway station on arrival and departure. (Wengen is a car-free village, accessible only by train, but the hotels have small electric vehicles they use to transport guests and their luggage.)

I have attached some photos of the hotel, the views from the hotel, Wengen village, and an aerial view showing the location of the hotel.

Hope this helps you in your planning.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 3:25:09 #858971

Photos of Wengen village. In the photo taken from Mürren, on the other side of the Lauterbrunnen Valley, Hotel Bellevue is located in the upper part of the village on the far left-hand side.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 17:57:18 #858972

Hi Alpenrose

As ever stunning photos, especially that sunset – amazing.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 February 2017 at 0:39:34 #858973

<<“Don’t like to be on main drag with other places around. Prefer off the beaten path or at least on outskirts of towns. Any recommendations for places?”>>

Avoid Grindelwald, and, especially Interlaken.

Read this:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim/page/2

Hike up top at Männlichen is superb:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 9:08:27 #858974

Thanks Maggie! I was very lucky to watch that beautiful sunset while eating dinner. That was the only night the Alpenglow occurred while I was there.

Another place people go to watch the sunset is the lookout at the Swiss Protestant Church.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Accommodation options in Jungfrau region?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.