Accommodation at Grindelwald 17-19 December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2015 at 23:53:32 #808176

Hello,

We will be visiting Switzerland next week and will be travelling from France by car. We planned to do a trip to Männlichen on 18th December and would like to have more information on accommodation.

Information regarding our visit:

• Number of travelers: 4 adults + 1 kid (2 ½ yrs)
    • Budget: maximum 100 euros per night (for 1 room)
    • Arrival date: 17th December at 19h
    • Departure date: 18th December
    • Mode of transport: Car

As far as my search for an accomodations in Grindelwald being very costly, we have plans of staying in BERN as it is 1 n half hrs drive to grindelwald. And we could do some siteseeing at BERN too 🙂 Or could you please suggest an accommodation in and around Grindelwald-Grund.

Thanking you in advance

Jeena

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 December 2015 at 6:56:58 #847167

Hi Jeena,

Unfortunately € 100 for 5 people in one room is nearly impossible anywhere in Switzerland. Or did you mean two rooms for € 100 each? I did some searches for you. Here are some options still available for December 17:

• Haus Buhlen in Grindelwald for CHF 160. To be accessed via a narrow road up the hill. Make sure your car is equipped for winter! It’s about 700 m to Grindelwald Grund.
    • Interlaken would be a good location for you as well: you can easily take trains to Grindelwald as well as Bern from there. The problem with budget locations is that many of them don’t have (free) parking as they’re geared to backpackers. There are exceptions though, like the "Funny Farm" accommodation, with free parking. You can search for more options here: http://www.hotelscombined.com /Place/Interlaken.htm.
    • Accommodation in Bern is pretty expensive. I don’t think you will find anything within your budget there. With a car, I would avoid the town center as parking is either not included or expensive. One of the options is the Youth Hostel. They do have a limited number of paid parking spots. Without a car there are more options. You can have a look here: http://www.hotelscombined.com /Place/Berne.htm.
    • A better option might be the Valley Hostel in Lauterbrunnen. It’s close to Männlichen, the train station and cable car are at walking distance, and there’s free parking. A day trip to Bern is easy from here: trains get you to the city center with just one change in Interlaken.

Were the above links useful?

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 December 2015 at 6:36:58 #847168

Hi Jeena,

I was just wondering, where did you decide to stay?

• The thread ‘Accommodation at Grindelwald 17-19 December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.