Getting to Jungfrau and other activity ideas

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 19:16:32 #812756

Hi! does anyone know the best/easiest/cheapest way to get to Jungfreau? I do not want a tour guide. I want to take the train from Interlaken OST via Lautterbrannen on the way there and via Grindewald on the way back. What stop do I get off at? Can I just book the ticket the day off or the day before? How much is the ticket without a swiss fare card? Would the swiss half fare card take any money off of this?

Does anyone know the best Matterhorn attraction in Zermatt and what is the best way to get there? Are Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and Matterhorn the same thing?

Any suggestions for companies to use for hang gliding or para gliding in Interlaken?

Any other must do activities in Interlaken?

I plan to park at Tasch parking garage when I go to Zermatt for two days. Do I need to book this parking in advance or can i wait till i get there? How much is the train to and from Zermatt?

I will be visiting Zurich, Rhine Falls, Interlaken, Lucerne and Zermatt over a span of 7 days. Any suggestions for what to do and see and eat for vegetarians is highly recommended? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2017 at 8:13:29 #867430

Hi NPAT12,

You can read about how to get to the Jungfraujoch here.

You can just buy tickets on the day of your trip (or day before) if you want yes. The cost depends on whether you are paying the regular price, or you have a Swiss Half Fare Card (50% off) or other rail pass, which can provide discounts on the ticket cost.

The Glacier Paradise is also called Klein Matterhorn (you can not go up the Matterhorn itself). There are 2 mountain attractions in Zermatt that give you the best views of the Matterhorn. You can choose either the Gornergrat or the Glacier Paradise/Klein Matterhorn.

We have one recommended paragliding company in Interlaken noted on our list of activities in Interlaken.

You do not have to pre-book a parking space no (I don’t think you can). The train cost to Zermatt from Täsch is about 8chf without and rail pass discount (find train schedules and approximate costs here). The default price here is with the Swiss Half Fare Card discount – so double it if you don’t get that rail pass.

I’m not sure what vegetarians like to see and do! 🙂 but I can recommend the vegetarian restaurant Hiltl in Zurich!
    For activity suggestions you can look up those towns on our where to go tab at the top of our website – each town has a list of suggested activities under what to do.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 July 2017 at 9:36:49 #867431

Hi NPAT12 –

When are you traveling? It makes a difference for weather especially in the high Alps, and for ticket lines for Jungfraujoch. August weekends in good weather may have lines.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2017 at 13:36:55 #867432

Oh thanks for letting me know! I will be there this Tuesday hoping to go around 8 or 9 in the morning, how had the weather been?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 July 2017 at 14:36:47 #867433

<<“I will be there this Tuesday hoping to go around 8 or 9 in the morning, how had the weather been?”>>

Weather –

http://www.meteoswiss.admin.c h/home.html?tab=overview

Webcams-

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/jungfraujoch-8469019/

Weather in Switzerland –

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Since I am in the USA, I have no direct personal experience to offer.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 July 2017 at 18:29:24 #867434

Hi NPAT12-

One other thing about the weather. If you follow the links I gave you, you will see this warning.

But, I’ll mention here so you are sure to see it.

Weather is very local due tot the geography of the country. So, a broad general forecast of rain may only represent 15 minutes each on a lot of places in a region, while some get none.

The weather changes rapidly, and is difficult to predict far in advance, in part, because of the mountains.

In the high Alps, a weather forecast is certainly unreliable more than 48 hours in advance, and, actually, may not even be accurate 24 hours in advance for locations at high altitude.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2017 at 14:32:42 #867435

Hi I heard that Aug 1 is a holiday will jungfreach still be available to go up to in a cogwheel train?

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 July 2017 at 16:37:59 #867436

Hi NPAT12,

No problem, Jungfraujoch is accessible that day. If weather is nice it may be more crowded though, as the Swiss themselves have the day off from work and usually make day trips too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2017 at 16:55:35 #867437

Oh can I buy my ticket from interlaken ost the day before or morning of?

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 July 2017 at 17:19:13 #867438

Sure, that’s no problem. As mentioned it may be crowded on August 1 in sunny weather, but getting your tickets too early is a risk as well as you won’t know yet if skies will be clear at the time of traveling. So buying the day before or the early morning should be fine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2017 at 17:43:02 #867439

Great thanks ! What are the timings in which you can go to the top? How long does the round trip journey last

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 July 2017 at 19:34:37 #867440

Hi Npat12,

The Jungfraujoch page Lucas linked to gets you all the details to plan this trip, including a link to the timetable. The whole trip takes a half to a full day depending on how much time you want to spend on the top.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Getting to Jungfrau and other activity ideas’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.