Admire high mountains from below the tops

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2017 at 13:07:01 #811842

Dear Sir / Madam,

We shall be in Zurich in August for 3 days and would like to take a trip

by train to a well known area, where we can enjoy and admire the sight of high mountains (preferably snow-covered). We do not want to watch from the tops of mountains, just to enjoy their sight ,preferably

walking, or sitting in a nice cafe or restaurant., like we did last year on a visit to Grindelwald. The train ride

in both directions should not take more than 3 – 4 hours.

Thank you for your advice.

Julius Y. Moritz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 May 2017 at 15:29:56 #863399

Hello Julius,

Thank you for joining MySwissAlps! There are quite a lot of places where one can see the mountains, but I’d recommend to go to a place where you can see the highest peaks of the Swiss Alps or else they might not be snow covered in August. Indeed you don’t have to actually visit a peak to enjoy good views, but going up a little does help to get a much wider view. The first place that comes to my mind is Rigi Kaltbad, a small car free village half way up Mount Rigi, which is a relatively low mountain. The view from the valley just isn’t the same. But from Rigi Kaltbad you can see Lake Lucerne and a lot of the Bernese Alps in the distance. It takes about 2 hours by train to get there from Zurich.

Another option is restaurant Luegibrüggli between Interlaken and Beatenberg (fill out bus stop “Unterseen, Luegibrüggli” in the timetable). There’s a very nice view on Lake Thun and the Bernese Alps from their terrace.

There are many options. Hopefully others can share their thoughts too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 15:07:50 #863400

Thank you for your advice. Could you perhaps send me a picture of the Rigi mountain ? However, you write that the Rigi is not a very high mountain, so this does not seem to be the size of mountain we are looking for. Perhaps you know of a mountain, that will really impress us ?

Julius y. Moritz

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 May 2017 at 15:42:59 #863401

Hi Julius,

I linked to our Mount Rigi page in my previous post. That page has all the details you need to plan a trip, including various images of the area and the view from there. You will be on Mount Rigi to enjoy the view towards the other mountains, you won’t be looking at Mount Rigi itself.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 16:23:41 #863402

How about the Pilatus mountain ?

J.Y. Moritz

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 May 2017 at 16:29:21 #863403

Hi Julius,

That’s a wonderful viewing point too. But it does not meet your requirement of watching the Alps from a lower altitude. You’ll be on a peak. Please see myswissalps.com/ pilatus.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    17 May 2017 at 23:48:29 #863404

Hi Julius,

In my opinion, the absolute best view of the mountains from a village is to be had in Grindelwald, at the foot of the Eiger. The trip from Zurich is a bit long – 2h 44min in each direction, but the mountains are just stunning and there are lots of cafes and restaurants within a couple of minutes walk of the railway station, so you won’t have to go far. The Wetterhorn, Mettenberg, Shreckhorn and Eiger all tower over the town. The only way you could get closer would be to climb them.

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 5:58:20 #863405

Thank you, Allan , for your advice.I agree with you absolutely, only – we have been there . However,if we do not receive another good suggestion, we shall go once again and I am sure we shall enjoy the wonderful views and walks.

Julius

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 May 2017 at 9:19:33 #863406

Would the Lauterbrunnen valley be a good suggestion? It’s just as far as Grindelwald, but definitely lots of mountains, and waterfalls too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 9:58:04 #863407

Thank you. I shall ask friends, who travel frequently to Switzerland.

They mentioned Engelberg to me. What is your opinion ?

Julius

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 10:40:03 #863408

Engelberg is certainly a nice option, with mountains nearby like Mt. Titlis. I think the other regions are regarded as a but more “spectacular” for mountain scenery but if you have already been there, Engelberg is a nice option as well.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 13:11:34 #863409

Thank you, Lucas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2017 at 8:56:27 #863410

Is Davos a good place to admire and enjoy big mountains from below the top ?

Illawyer23

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2017 at 9:52:12 #863411

Yes, it is a ski resort so there are some nice mountains right above the town and all around the area. Have a look at the tourist site here.

I was there in early October and we went to the top of one of the mountains (very easy) had lunch and did a short easy hike around the top – quite nice.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2017 at 13:34:20 #863412

Thank you very much, Lucas.

• The thread ‘Admire high mountains from below the tops’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.