Adventure Card Upper Valais – Uri – Grisons

• AMerchant
    Participant
    14 posts
    30 June 2014 at 12:19:33 #806478

We are 2 adults and 2 children (10 and 5 yr old) and

we will be staying in Brig for 6 days. we intend to travel to Zermatt,
    Kandersteg, Thun, Bettmeralp and Sass fee. Will be using Geneva Airport. Please
    can you suggest most economical ticket selection/combination.

Is the Adventure Card Upper Valais – Uri – Grisons any good?

Do I need a Swiss transfer ticket with it?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 June 2014 at 13:30:13 #840359

Hi AMerchant,

I recommend a combination of 3 passes:

The advantage of this combination is that the Swiss Half Fare Card will get you a 50% discount on the Adventure Card, plus 50% discounts on any tickets to destinations beyond the Adventure Card area of validity (e.g. parts of the trip from/to Geneva and the trip to Thun). All in all it’s CHF 60 extra (assuming the 5 day Adventure Card), but you will save more through the discounts on the tickets. A Swiss Transfer Ticket would not give you a discount on the Adventure Card.

Please see the links for pass details such as prices, what’s included, etc. All passes can be purchased in one go through the Swiss Railways website.

patten36
    Participant
    4 posts
    30 July 2014 at 22:53:37 #840360

So I can combine the adventure card with the half fare card, how does this work, went to the link to purchase and the savings were not really evident, can you explain?

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 July 2014 at 23:29:47 #840361

Hi patten36,

Yes, you can combine the two. Just go to the Swiss Railways webshop, and select “Swiss Half Fare Card” under “Discount for holders of” when you add the Adventure Card to your shopping card. You will see the price go down when you do so. You first need to select the number of travelers, start date, class and validity before this question can be answered.

Did it work for you now?

Kind regards,

Arno

patten36
    Participant
    4 posts
    31 August 2014 at 21:57:21 #840362

Hi arno,since it is getting close to departure time it will be hard to get the tickets mailed, can I purchase them at Zurich aiport, if so where in the airport? can I then just buy 2 half fare cards and 2 erlebnis cards and get 50 % off at the time of purchase?thankspatrick

AMerchant
    Participant
    14 posts
    1 September 2014 at 9:29:34 #840363

Hi Patten36

You can purchase all rail tickets/passes at Zurich Airport. Once you have collected you laggauge just walk down towards the train station and purchase them from the SBB rail office.

Purchase the Half Fare Card or Swiss Card and then buy the Adventure Card to get it at half price.

Note that Swiss card will allow you to travel from the airport to your destination and back and also serve as a half fare card. But if you purchase only a Half Fare Card then you will still need to buy the train tickets (at half fare) to and from the Airport to your destination. The total cost with the latter may be higher.

I ended purchasing the 8 day Swiss pass as I intended to visit Laussane, Montreux and Thun which are outside the Valais region and it worked most economical for me.

patten36
    Participant
    4 posts
    1 September 2014 at 23:56:56 #840364

Hi Arno,I think I kinda get the picture, if the only tickets outside the erlebnis zone are the transfers to and from zrh airport (arriving Zermatt 3 nights, moving to saas fee 3 nights then back to Zurich town for the night would you say that erlebnis Plus half fare is the better choice if we just do this itinerary? Don’t see where else would be the savings as far as swiss card train travel. Also when using the erlebnis on cable cars etc you get 50 % off, do you get additional savings from the half fare card as well?, many thanks foir your patience

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 September 2014 at 7:42:46 #840365

AMerchant is right: you’d better get a Swiss Card as that includes your transfer to Zermatt and your return transfer from Saas-Fee for free. If you buy a Swiss Half Fare Card you would need to buy discounted tickets too. All in all you save more than CHF 30 per person with the Swiss Card. This assumes you will NOT use the Erlebnis Card for the inbound and outbound trips, which is best as the card only includes 3 to 5 days of traveling which you will probably need for your day trips. Using these days for your inbound and outbound trips will still require tickets as far as Visp and you would still pay (slightly) more with a Swiss Half Fare Card.

As for the savings with each card/pass: please visit the pass pages I linked to and download the map. Discounts of multiple passes don’t accumulate.

You can purchase the Swiss Card and the discounted Erlebnis Card from the official Swiss Railways shop (http://www.swissrailways.com) and have it delivered to the US in 5 days. The cards can be validated by yourself so you can immediately board the trains without the need to go visit a ticket office. Of course you can also get everything at local Swiss rail stations (you need all travelers and their passports to be present).

I hope this clarifies things!

• The thread ‘Adventure Card Upper Valais – Uri – Grisons’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.