Advice best way to go to Zurich – train route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2017 at 15:16:14 #811907

Hi fabulous team

I have done some research and are thinking of the following options to go from Montreux to Zurich

1. To take the 09.44 from Montreux which is the MOB Panoramic Train to Zweisimmen where it then continues to the Goldenpass Panoramic when i get to Spiez i then have to change onto the intercity train and arrive at Zurich at 13.58 .

2. Alternatively the following route is available Montreux – Lausanne- Zurich which takes 2hrs 40 mins with 1 change. At the same time departure 09.48 arrives Zurich at 12.28

I have some questions and I would like some advice on which is best suited to my travel ideas – we are a family of 4 travelling with rucksacks

1. Firstly would route 1 be covered with and interrail Global pass – i have read that it is but just wanted to confirm

2. If i took route 1 which i would assume is more sceenic?? would i have time to stop and store luggage in Bern which is on route . I have seen locker facilities at Bern Station – how safe are these to use and any time restrictions for collection.

3. Alternatively if i was to go with route 2 which is quicker could I was thinking of leaving luggage at my accommodation and heading out to the Rhinefalls and perhaps visit Stein Am Rhein/Schauffsen which Lucas has commented on before.

Any advice greatly received the deciding factor is that i am only staying overnight in Zurich and in the morning are heading to Munich so would like to see as much of the city and area of Zurich as possible – any suggestion on what to actually see in the city of Zurich.

Many thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    20 May 2017 at 16:33:14 #863625

Hi twiggy321,

If exploring Zurich is your main goal, you’d best take the faster route via Lausanne. The other route via Zweisimmen is more scenic indeed and yes, you could get out in Bern along the way. But that will leave less time for you in and around Zurich. So picking route #2 would be my advice for you.

Both routes are covered by the Interrail Global Pass. Please refer to myswissalps.com/interr ailglobalpass/validity.

Our personal recommendations for Zurich and its surroundings can be found at our Zurich page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2017 at 17:16:39 #863626

Hi Annika

Thanks for your quick reply I cant really find out any information to do with what there is to see in Zurich.I am not into museums and public buildings. But do like to explore. What is in the old part of Zurich and is there enough to warrent the whole day there.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 May 2017 at 17:27:02 #863627

Hi twiggy321,

The Zurich page Annika referred to offers various tips like “What not to miss during your stay” and “Off the beaten path”. Also there’s the “What to do” tab with even more tips.

• The thread ‘Advice best way to go to Zurich – train route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.