Advice for Swiss Card or Swiss Pass or regional pa

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2013 at 20:08:49 #805904

I have begun making some plans for this summer and I was wondering if you could help me with a train pass question. We are flying in and out of Zurich and will be going into Grindewald and out of Kandersteg. During our 10 days there, we will be in Grindewald, Wengen, Murren and Kandersteg. We do plan on using trains, lifts, funiculars, buses etc during our time there.

Is it best to purchase a Swiss Card or Swiss Pass for the to and from Zurich trips and a Regional Bernese Oberland pass for our time there; or should I purchase the to and from Zurich tickets individually and purchase the regional pass for the time there; or would the Swiss Card work for the entire trip w/the 50% off of the trains, lifts etc in the Bernese Oberland? I have checked the websites, but I am not sure which would be the best option. Also, does the Swiss Pass cover lift, funiculars, buses or just trains? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 April 2013 at 3:11:25 #838356

Hi Kwalter513,

I would personally pick the combination of a Swiss Card (covers the in- and outbound trip) and the 8-day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland for the days in between. The reason for that is that Swiss Card holders get a discount on the Regional-Pass, so all in all that’s a bit cheaper than combining the Swiss Transfer Ticket and the Regional-Pass. Indeed you can use the Swiss Card alone for your whole stay, but the Regional-Pass includes a lot of free traveling in the region (including lifts etc, unlike the other passes), so I feel you’re better off using that if you plan to travel a lot (especially with the discount included).

All the pages I linked to include links to detailed maps where you can see what’s covered in the passes.

You can get both passes here. Please note that it’s a bit tricky to order two different passes. You should first add one of them to the shopping cart (e.g. the Swiss Card). As soon as you see “Following tickets have been added to your shopping cart”, just leave that page and go to the homepage again (there won’t be a link to the homepage, so click the link from here). Then add the other pass (e.g. the Regional-Pass) and finish the order.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your stay!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    18 April 2013 at 10:35:06 #838357

KWalter513,

Please study the validity map carefully.

If you are planning to visit two of the most popular high peaks in the area (Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn), be aware that the expensive Regional Pass only provides a 50% discount on these trips, the same as the much less expensive Half Fare Card (or its partner, the Swiss Card).

Most visitors to Wengen area want to take the gondola up to Männlichen to enjoy the views there, then take the very scenic and easy stroll down to Kleine Scheidegg. The Regional Pass is not valid for this gondola.

On the Mürren side, most visitors want to take the lift to Allmendhubel and take in one of more of the Flower Trail walks. Regional Pass is also not valid for this.

Nor for the trip up the Rothorn.

In my opinion, with the places you are wanting to visit I think you should consider the less expensive HFC or Swiss Card only and simply pay half fare for your journeys. The only way you can know for sure is to do the math.

Annika
    7116 posts
    18 April 2013 at 11:17:53 #838358

Hi Kim and Kwalter513! Kim, could it be that you’re referring to the previous version of the Regional-Pass? Some of your statements aren’t correct. The pass has been renewed this year and offers free and discounted traveling on a vast network. This includes the Männlichen (for free), Allmendhubel (for free), the Brienzer Rothorn (for free), Schynige Platte (for free), traveling up to and from Kleine Scheidegg and Mürren (for free), and a whole lot more. The new conditions and network map are available at our Regional-Pass page. It’s a great deal for intensive traveling in the Bernese Oberland and I’d definitely recommend it to you, KWalter513.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    18 April 2013 at 12:38:38 #838359

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the great new information on the Regional Pass! I was indeed looking at an outdated network validity map. So, KWalter, it looks like it will cost around 250 CHF for an 8 day regional pass if you also buy either the Swiss Card or Half Fare Card as well. If you plan to do enough traveling around (exclusive of Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn) that it would equal 500 CHF of regular priced tickets the RP plus HFC or Swiss Card would indeed be a good way to go. Again, you only know for sure if you price out all the voyages you think you will make and do the math. My guess is that if you move around a lot it will come out around a wash financially (compared to just buying the Swiss Card or HFC), but you will have the convenience with the RP of not buying tickets for every voyage in the region.

• The thread ‘Advice for Swiss Card or Swiss Pass or regional pa’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.