Bernina Express Chur to Lugano/Como & on to Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2016 at 20:37:54 #808473

We are traveling on April 13th from Lucerne to Chur to take the Bernina Express to Triano. We are trying to where to stay overnight (Pontresina or Triano) for one night. We wanted to go to Lake Como or Lugano for overnight on the 14th – which is better as we have to ultimately go to Milan and on to Venice to fly home. And finally, will our Swiss Rail Pass be valid train travel from Triano to Como or Lugano or would we have to buy a separate ticket for that leg? We would hate to give up a day of our 8 day Swiss Rail pass if we don’t have to.

Advice appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 February 2016 at 6:29:48 #848655

Hi caseylight,

I would prefer Pontresina. Note that the other town is Tirano. The next day you can take a train to Tirano, and the Bernina Express bus from there to Lugano. You can either stay in Lugano or take a train to Como. All of this is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, except the Bernina Express seat reservations and the short leg from the Swiss border (Chiasso) to Como, which costs about CHF 2. There are direct trains from both Como and Lugano to Milan.

Please see here for details: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2016 at 12:31:06 #848656

I had understood that the Bernina Express Bus didn’t operate in April, that it started up again in May. Did I misunderstand that? Please advise.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 February 2016 at 12:50:51 #848657

Hi caseylight,

The bus operates from March 25.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2016 at 13:31:54 #848658

If we break up the train ride from Churr to Tirano and stay over night in Pontresina and the next day we go to Tirano, is it a separate reservation fee for doing so and how much is that reservation fee for the Bernina Express?

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 February 2016 at 14:02:47 #848659

I would take any of the regular trains on day two. In that case the reservation fee (CHF 10 to 14) is not required.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express Chur to Lugano/Como & on to Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.