Advice needed for Lucern, Lauterbrunnen and Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 7:43:52 #811869

Hi Guys,

You have been very helpful in my previous thread about visiting the Jungfrau region. I have my travel confirmed and have freed up more days to be in Switzerland and that will be 8 days.We will be taking a train from Paris.

I would like to start from Lucern (that would be from Basel then to Lucern?), then go to Lauterbrunnen (do the Jungfraujoch, falls and just visit other areas), and then leave from Geneva airport. I think I will be buying the Swiss Family Pass as a lot of people say that its cheaper to travel with it. We would like to do the panoramic train ride, lake cruise from Lake Lucern etc. We would also like to do the Glacier express but don’t know where to slot that in.

Could anyone advice if this is a good plan? I have a 5 and 12 year old who loves the outdoor, trains and mountains (which we don’t get to see in Singapore!) 🙂

Please advice!

Lucern – 3 days (plus day of arrival)

Lauterbrunnen – 3 days

Have a day to slot in Glacier express and maybe stay in St. Moritz – 1 day

Geneva – 1 day and travel back to Singapore.

Thanks!

Kas

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 10:30:02 #863501

Hi Kas,

For rail passes, the adults need to buy a Swiss Travel Pass and then you order the Swiss Family Card (for free) at the same time to cover the kids travel.

Here is a list of activities in Luzern and nearby and Lauterbrunnen. I’m not sure what panoramic train ride you mean from Luzern, but I’m guessing the Golden Pass to Montreux?

The Glacier Express runs from Zermatt to Chur or St. Moritz (or in the opposite directions) and if you have 1 night free to overnight than it is possible to fit it in yes.

You can check train schedules to help plan your trips here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 10:52:56 #863502

Hi Lucas thanks for your reply! Would you advice us to stay in Lucern itself if we want to do whats listed in you link above ( Luzern and nearby)? Thanks yet again 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 11:39:28 #863503

Yes, staying in Luzern for those activities would be the best idea or are you thinking of a small town nearby instead? I think Luzern will offer the most for you to do and easy rail connection still to those attractions.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 11:47:20 #863504

Hi Lucas, Luzern seems pretty expensive (just checking the hotel pricing!). My dad was in Lucern last year and did tell me to stay a bit further as its a city but Im more concern about ease of access. We will be staying in Lauterbrunnen for 3 days after all to experience the scenic areas. Another quick question…Our flight will be at 9.30 pm from Geneva. Would you advice us to travel from Lauterbrunnen (by train) or book the last day in Geneva? Sorry for the many questions 🙂

Thanks

Kas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 14:16:48 #863505

Hi Kas,

We have a list of hotels (some hostels too) on our Luzern page if it helps with your search. I would try and stay in Luzern as well if you find an economical option.

Yes, you can travel from Lauterbrunnen on your last day. It is about 3 hours 15 minutes (with 2 train changes) to Geneva. You can check the train schedule in my first post. You have lots of time that day assuming you should be at the airport by about 19:00.

When I am catching a flight I make sure I don’t take the last possible train to make it on time – I take the one before just in case 🙂

Lucas

• The thread ‘Advice needed for Lucern, Lauterbrunnen and Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.