Advice needed on best option

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2013 at 3:50:20 #805906

Hi, we are flying to Geneva on April 27 for a Swiss adventure. We are a couple travelling with our 2 year old.
    I really need advice on what Rail Pass to buy, if any? I have been researching for days and am so confused.

Here is our itinerary…

April 27 Arrive Geneva airport. Catch train to Montreux.

April 27-30 Stay in Montreux (maybe do a boat trip on the lake)

April 30 Train to Lauterbrunnen (not too fussed about taking a panoramic train, I think the regional one sounds fine)

May 1 Would like to catch the train up to Jungfraujoch. Then probably stay in Lauterbrunnen another night.

May 2 Maybe a night in Wengen.

May 3 and 4 Visit Lucerne and Bern.

May 5 Fly out of Zurich or Basel.

Sorry it gets a bit vague towards the end.
    We were going to fly out of Zurich on May 1, but have just decided to extend our stay until the 5th. Yay!

As we are travelling with a 2 year old we are somewhat limited in what we can achieve each day. He isn’t much of a museum fan, so we probably won’t be visiting too many. Although I would love to see the Paul Klee in Bern.

Originally I thought that just buying regional tickets from the machines on the day would be fine. Now that we have extended our trip I am rethinking that.

Is a Swiss Pass the best option for us? If so, which one?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    14 April 2013 at 9:56:21 #838369

Welcome to the forum, travel-bean! Yes, a rail pass will save you money. An 8 day Swiss Saver Pass for April 29-May 4 would be by far the easiest solution. Except for mountain transportation, the pass takes you pretty much everywhere for free throughout the country. This includes boat trips, train and bus rides and even museums (in case you do decide to visit one or even a few ;-)). You don’t have to buy additional tickets for most trips (only for the Jungfraujoch in your case) and can simply get on and off board showing your pass, even adapting your plans on the spot if that’s necessary.

Other options would be a 3 or 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass (requiring you to distinguish between free and non-free travel days) and the Swiss Half Fare Card (additional 50% discounted tickets are required for each trip).

I hope that helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2013 at 13:45:19 #838370

Annika,
    Need advice. We will be traveling from Berlin, Germany. We would like to cover jungfrau, titlis and a ride on Glacier express (or similar scenic trains with panoramic view).
    Checked many options. Most train rides are pretty long.. I am looking for the best and shortest route to cover all three items mentioned above.

Oh, one more thing. We have Eurail global pass. Is it valid on German Hbf (ticket charge from Berlin to Interlaken is almost $400/person)

Need help

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 April 2013 at 13:56:42 #838371

Hi nickveen, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Can you please open a new topic for your questions as they are not related to what this topic is about? Please see the forum rules for more information. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2013 at 15:28:52 #838372

[quote]Arno said: Hi nickveen, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Can you please open a new topic for your questions as they are not related to what this topic is about? Please see the forum rules for more information. Thanks![/quote]

I thought my post was under relevant topic: Advice needed on best option. Didn’t know I had to open a new topic. By the way, how do I open a new topic and post my query. I actually saw “Open new topic’ tab somewhere…couldn’t find it now. Would you please direct me.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 April 2013 at 17:08:03 #838373

Hi nickveen,

You can go to the forum home, then to the Swiss rail forum. You can open a new topic from there.

• The thread ‘Advice needed on best option’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.