Advice Needed on Switzerland Rail Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2012 at 2:07:02 #804970

Hi! We are a couple planning to travel on our own in Bern, Interlaken, Luzern with excursions to Lake Luzern and Jungfraujoch. Would be helpful if anyone could advice us on a few issues. We are travelling on a tight budget.

Our itinerary would include train from Geneva to Bern(we will be staying in Geneva first and our flight back home is from Geneva) and a three nights stay in Bern. From Bern, we would be travelling daily to many destinations – to Interlaken and then ‘mountain train’ to Jungfraujoch and then back to Bern; Bern to Luzern with perhaps boat rides in Lake Lucerne(if that’s possible) and then back to Bern. Finally a return train to Geneva from Bern.

A few questions needing advice:
    1.)Would it be more advisable to get a 4-day Swiss Pass than to purchase the tickets separately with such itinerary?
    2.)Does the Swiss Pass also cover tram rides?
    3.)The ‘mountain rail’ to Jungfraujoch – is that ‘free’ with the Swiss Pass or do we still have to purchase separate tickets for this?
    4.)I wonder if it’s practical to have an excursion from Luzern to Mt. Titlis or Mt. Pilatus on just a day-trip to Luzern from Bern?
    5.)I have difficulty purchasing detailed maps(with street names; train, bus and tram stations/stops; hotels and restaurants) of Geneva, Bern and Luzern in my country and trying to find such maps in the internet had not been fruiful. Any suggestions of websites with such maps?
    6.)We were thinking of purchasing the Swiss Pass from a company in this website:- http://rail.myswitzerland.com/ . The company has a special offer for Swiss Pass of 4 days: http://rail.myswitzerland.com/produkttexte.php?passid=1 . A few questions(as we had some not too good experience with online purchase/booking):-
    a.) Is it advisable to purchase the pass from this company?(i.e. has anyone purchased the pass from this company to ensure that it’s not some scam/bogus site?)
    b.) We live in the Far East – will it be a problem for the Pass to be delivered to us should we purchase them?

Would be grateful if anyone can help us with these questions. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 March 2012 at 3:59:11 #835044

Hi wanderlust, and welcome to our website,

As for your questions:

1. Yes, a pass would be more economical and convenient.
    2. & 3. Yes, trams are free. The Jungfrau trip is free to Wengen and 25% off from there on. Our Swiss Pass page allows you to download a network map to see such details for yourself.
    4. I’m not sure what you mean. You can travel to the valley stations of those mountains for free and get your discounted ticket to the top there (assuming you have a Swiss Pass).
    5. Our hotel pages have maps you may find convenient to prepare your trip. As for paper maps, you can take a look at mapsworldwide.com. Maps will be available locally as well.
    6. That offer is available on our site as well. You can find it here. In order to find a reseller, you can best visit our Swiss Pass page I linked to above. Fill out your country, preferred pass and number of travelers on the right, and all appropriate options will be displayed. It includes details such as shipping amounts and delivery times. This saves you from a lot of searching for resellers. We’ve only listed trusted resellers we work with for years.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2012 at 4:21:02 #835045

Hi Arno. Thank you so much for your very prompt and helpful reply!

Just one last question. Is your company affiliated to Boustead Travel Services in Malaysia and thus have the special promotion of the Swiss Pass as well? We will be certainly considering the Swiss Pass promotion. Many thanks once again.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 March 2012 at 8:13:19 #835046

Hi wanderlust,

You’re welcome! I don’t know that company. The resellers we work with offer the promotion and will ship the pass to Malaysia. Details are on the Swiss Pass page I linked to (fill out the dropdowns on the right).

• The thread ‘Advice Needed on Switzerland Rail Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.