Advice needed on types of rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2012 at 2:09:36 #805418

Hi all,
    Its our first maiden trip to Europe for our honeymoon in Sept.
    Been reading up on the different type of passes etc Euro Rail / Swiss pass but still kind of confused by it…
    Need some advise and help from the kind soul here plsss…
    Our itinerary: –

Day 1: SG – Rome
    Day 2: Rome
    Day 3: Rome
    Day 4: Rome – Florence – Pisa (Day tour) – Florence
    Day 5: Florence
    Day 6: Florence – Venice
    Day 7: Venice
    Day 8: Venice – Milan – Zermatt
    Day 9: Zermatt
    Day 10: Zermatt – Interlaken – Bern & Thun
    Day 11: Interlaken – Jungfrau
    Day 12: Interlaken – Zurich & Luzern
    Day 13: Interlaken – Mt Titlis
    Day 14: Interlaken – Montreux / Grindelwald
    Day 15: Interlaken – Paris
    Day 16: Paris
    Day 17: Paris
    Day 18: Paris
    Day 19: Paris
    Day 20: Paris
    Day 21: Paris
    Day 22: Paris – SG

Based on the above itinerary, is it better to get individual train tickets from each city to city (Swiss pass in Switzerland) or get a Eurorail pass instead? How should we plan our routes?

Thank you for reading and i hope to hear from you guys soon! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 July 2012 at 9:06:58 #836581

Hello kingsley, and welcome to MySwissAlps! That looks like a wonderful honeymoon trip. The first thing I noticed is that you’ll be traveling in September. This means that you can use the 2 for 1 offer on the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. For your stay in Switzerland during day 8 to 15, this is definitely the most economical solution (way cheaper than buying regular tickets, and also the cheapest option in terms of rail passes). The Swiss Saver Pass allows free traveling throughout the country and is very convenient. Mountain transportation is discounted. If you order two sets of the 2 for 1 offer on the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass, you can thus cover your trips in Switzerland. Please refer to the Swiss Saver Pass page for details and ordering options.

As for your itinerary: most of it looks fine, but day 10 and day 14 would be too full in my opinion. The timetable will help you plan your trips and check traveling times between all towns.

I don’t think it’s worth buying a national rail pass for your stay in Paris, as it looks like you’ll be making local or city trips only. If that’s true, you can better look for a pass or ticket that specifically covers the metro and bus network in Paris. A Eurail Italy Pass could be an option for the Italian portion of your honeymoon. You can order it along with your 2 for 1 Swiss Saver Passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2012 at 12:52:48 #836582

thank for replying… I will relook for 10 and 14… for 14 maybe i will skip Montreux so taht i can spend more on photography in Grindelwald..

I am thinking of getting Eurail for Italy and Swiss saver pass but how do i book my ticket from Milan to Zermatt ?

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 July 2012 at 5:13:22 #836583

Hi Kingsley. You can use the seat reservation page (fill out your country of residence in the upper right corner) or the Swiss timetable.

• The thread ‘Advice needed on types of rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.