Advice on appropriate rail passes and/or tickets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2013 at 3:00:08 #805891

I have accommodation booked in Lauterbrunnen from Wednesday 19 June to Saturday 29 June 2013.

I enter Switzerland at Geneva Airport in the afternoon of 19th; then travel by train to Lauterbrunnen.

I spend the entire holiday in the Jungfrau Region, using local public transport.

On 29th I leave Switzerland by rail to Chamonix Mont Blanc via Kandersteg and Martigny.

Please advise my best choice for rail pass(es).

Thank yoiu.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 April 2013 at 10:01:59 #838327

Welcome Peter! The Swiss Card would be a good option. It provides a free trip from Geneva Airport to Lauterbrunnen, and from Lauterbrunnen to Le Châtelard (close to Martigny). All other trips during your stay will be discounted by 50%. Please find details at the Swiss Card page.

Another option would be to purchase a Swiss Transfer Ticket for the trips Geneva Airport-Lauterbrunnen and Lauterbrunnen-Le Châtelard. You could combine this with an 8 day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. If you plan to use public transportation in the Bernse Oberland quite intensively, this might be a better option as the Regional-Pass provides free traveling on a vast network, even including some mountain trains and cable cars (further mountain transportation is discounted). As the pass is valid on 8 consecutive days, either the 1st or last day of your stay in Lauterbrunnen won’t be covered. This isn’t a problem if you plan to do no or limited traveling then.

Only detailed calculations based on an exact list of plans would prove which of these options is cheaper.

• The thread ‘Advice on appropriate rail passes and/or tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.