Advice on best travel pass for Zurich and Wengen

• aplopez
    Participant
    9 posts
    22 March 2016 at 17:15:33 #808695

Hello,

My wife and I will travel to Zurich on June 30, and see the city for 2 days, then on July 2 will travel to Wengen, where we will stay for one week. From there, will go to Rome for a few days, then return to Zurich on the 15th July to return home.

Fy question is what might be the best travel pass or combination of passes for the trip. We will get the Zurich card for the city. for the rest of trip the Swiss Travel Pass seems like more than we would need, but I know there is the half fare pass, and passes for the Jungfrau region. We will take the railway to the top of Jungfrau, and will need the various trams to get into mountains. Will be mostly hiking in the area around Wengen and Grindelwald. We would like to have the most efficient way to travel. Any advice will be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    22 March 2016 at 18:43:26 #849718

Hi aplopez!

The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi is a good choice. It will cover the rides Zurich-Wengen and Wengen-Swiss/Italian border and provide a 50% discount on trips you’ll be making in the Jungfrau region. Details are at the page I linked to. Does this seem to be a suitable option for you?

aplopez
    Participant
    9 posts
    23 March 2016 at 2:18:43 #849719

Yes, it does sound like a good choice. It appears there are first and second class tickets. Do you recommend first class or is second class okay? It appears each first class ticket would cost $302 USD. How long are the tickets good for; I did not see this on the order page.

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 March 2016 at 6:21:15 #849720

Hello aplopez,

First class costs $299, please see http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-transfer-ticket-with-half-fare-card-combi/index.html or here for the other purchase options. The tickets are good for one month; you’ll find all details in Annika’s link (click the various tabs).

Second class is perfectly fine but if you prefer a more luxurious and quiet trip you can consider first class: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ 2nd1stclass. This only applies to the included trips to Wengen and back. The discounted tickets during your stay can be first or second class; you’ll have that option each time you buy a ticket.

• The thread ‘Advice on best travel pass for Zurich and Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.