Advice on ticket fare, itinerary and best option

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2012 at 4:11:47 #805719

My husband and I are planning a trip to Switzerland and Germany as follows:
    We arrive in Zurich from London by air on 24 December and stay for 2 days. Undertake visits in Zurich.
    On 26 December we leave Zurich for Luzern to tour Luzern.
    On 27 & 28 December we go to Interlaken
    29 December we leave Interlaken for Geneva. Stay in Geneva up to 31 December and do day trips to Chillon Castle,; Fairmont Le Montreux Palace;Christmas Market located in the Grand-rue and also within Geneva.
    On 1 Jan leave for Berlin by air.
    Stay in Berlin to look around in Berlin and leave Berlin for London by air on 6 Jan 2013.
    We will not travel by car, but would like to use rail/bus/foot for moving within Switzerland and also in Berlin

Please advise ….
    Whether the itinerary is practical. Or should I visit Luzern on a day trip from Zurich.
    Whether it makes sense to buy Swiss-pass for the journeys within Switzerland. If so should it be the Swiss-saver pass or Swiss half fare card. In addition to these passes, do I need to buy passes for travel within Zurich and Geneva city, Or Swiss-pass / Swiss half fare card will be valid for travel within cities as well? Will Swiss pass also enable travel from airport to the hotel?
    Which location (near airport) or any other location within Zurich / Geneva will be wise. Can you suggest budget hotels in all these locations?
    I have given a miss to Lugano. Should I include that and reduce the number of days in Geneva?
    Thanks for the advice.
    Regards.
    Mythili

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 December 2012 at 12:57:16 #837834

Hi mythili! Yes, a rail pass will certainly be cheaper than regular train tickets. I think the Swiss Half Fare Card or the Swiss Saver Pass would be a good option. The Swiss Half Fare Card allows you to buy 50% discounted tickets for all trips, including urban transportation and transportation to and from the airports. With an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass, pretty much all trips during your stay will be for free and you will hardly have to buy additional tickets. This also goes for urban transportation and getting to and from the airports. You will also have free entrance to lots of museums. Please refer to the Swiss Pass page for details, a downloadable validity map and purchase options. I think the Swiss Saver Pass is the more convenient solution. You should make calculations to find out for sure which option is cheaper.

I think your itinerary is fine. I wouldn’t include Lugano if I were you, but that’s a personal preference. I think it’s more relaxed to choose only a few resorts and explore a few regions. As for hotels: we selected centrally located and affordable hotels in/near Zurich Airport, Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Geneva and Geneva Airport. I hope these lists will help you find the right accommodation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2012 at 17:02:48 #837835

Hi Annika, Thanks a lot. That is very useful. When you say the Swiss Saver pass would provide free urban transport, I understand that my travel within city limits (say, Zurich) will also be free, right?
    Another question, is it necessary for me to buy the Swiss Saver Pass on-line, or can I buy it at Zurich airport on arrival there? Will there be any difference in their pricing?
    Given we will be travelling during Christmas / New Year Holidays, do you have any specific information that I need to be aware of, such as when the museums will be open, whether on 25th Dec places will be open for sightseeing, etc.
    We are vegetarians (no fish and no meat of any kind). So do you think we should manage to get vegetarian food where we go?

Thanks

Mythili

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 December 2012 at 2:36:25 #837836

Hello Mythili,

Yes indeed, the pass provides free traveling in most cities, including Zurich. Please check the page Annika linked to for a detailed overview of all purchase options and prices. Opening hours on Christmas Day will vary. Smaller museums may be closed while the larger ones, such as the Swiss National Museum in Zurich, are open. You can best check their websites. Most shops will be closed allthough there may be some exceptions in large cities. Most restaurants offer (at least one) vegetarian dish(es). You may want to try the oldest vegetarian restaurant in the world (opened in 1898): Haus Hiltl in Zurich.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2012 at 17:33:37 #837837

Thanks Arno.

I have budgeted one day in Luzerne and two days in Interlaken. I plan to reach Luzern in the morning from Zurich, check into a hotel in Luzern and then carry on to Mount Titlis. Return from Titlis to Luzern. Stay overnight there. Next morning leave for Interlaken.

At Interlaken I want to go to Jungfrau and return the same day. Is there anything else I can do in Interlaken on the second day? Or should proceed to my next destination the very next day.

Alternatively, can I directly go from Zurich to Mount Titlis and go onward the same day to stay at Interlaken? This way I can leave for Mount Jungfrau first thing the next day. I would also like to know in this option if an additional day in Interlaken makes sense.

I would appreciate if you could also tell me the time taken from Zurich to Mount Titlis, Mount Titlis to Interlaken and Interlaken to Jungfrau.

Thank you,
    Mythili

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 December 2012 at 13:13:58 #837838

Hi mythili. The timetable is of help here. Just enter your departure station and destination for each trip to check connections and traveling times (enter ‘Kleintitlis’ for the Titlis). This way, you can see which alternatives in your itinerary you prefer. For example: you will manage to get to the Titlis from Zurich and move on to Interlaken the same day, but that will be quite a long day. Whether you want to spend an extra day in either Interlaken or Geneva depends on your personal interests. If you’re fond of city life and (Christmas) markets, you can best travel onto Geneva. If you want to enjoy natural beauty, spend an additional day in Interlaken and travel around the lakes, Grindelwald, Mürren, etc.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2012 at 10:01:04 #837839

Thanks.

I am considering the following trip. Please advice if the time budgeted is OK and doable.
    I leave Interlaken early in the morning and travel the ‘Goldenpass Panoramic’ route to Montreaux by 12.15 PM. Have lunch and visit the Castle there.
    Leave Montreaux for Zermatt by train at about 5.00 PM, so as to reach Zermatt by about 8.00 PM.
    Next day do the Zermatt-Gornergrat train journey. By 4.00 PM leave Zermatt for Geneva.

Thank you.
    Regards

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 December 2012 at 10:47:40 #837840

Hi mythili. Well, that seems to be doable. I assume you used the timetable to check traveling times? Note that you’ll have to make reservations for the Golden Pass train.

• The thread ‘Advice on ticket fare, itinerary and best option’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.