Advice on train travel and cost

Advice on train travel and cost

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Margaret
Margaret
2 posts
Jan 22, 2013 - 11:00 PM
We will be visiting Switzerland in September 2013
Our Ages are 55, 69
This is a list of the Train Travel we intend to take would appreciate any advice that you can give me.
Also the cost if that were possible. I am unsure if it to our advantage to buy a travel pass or half price card

Menaggio Lucerne

Lucerne Interlarken

Interlarken Jungafrau by train

Interlarken visit some villages by train

Interlarken Zurich

Zurich Prague Night Train Sleeper

Bernina Express from Tirano Station

Thanks
Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Jan 27, 2013 - 4:00 AM
Hello Margaret! You'll be making quite some long and expensive train journeys, so yes: a rail pass will certainly save you money. There would be several options for your itinerary. The Swiss Half Fare Card (please find details here) would be fine, but note that you will have to buy discounted train tickets for each trip. In all, I think the Swiss Saver Pass (please see this page) would be the most comfortable solution for your itinerary, as you won't have to buy additional tickets for most journeys. I don't know the duration of your stay though; maybe an 8 day variant would be fine. If you do like fee traveling, but only on a number of days and not on all days, please take a look at the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass here.

These guidelines allow you to calculate which options is cheapest for your plans; this overview may also serve as a starting point.

Does that get you started? You're welcome to get back with further questions!
Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 4:35 PM by Arno

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016