Advice on train travel and cost

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2013 at 22:00:40 #805764

We will be visiting Switzerland in September 2013
    Our Ages are 55, 69
    This is a list of the Train Travel we intend to take would appreciate any advice that you can give me.
    Also the cost if that were possible. I am unsure if it to our advantage to buy a travel pass or half price card

Menaggio Lucerne

Lucerne Interlarken

Interlarken Jungafrau by train

Interlarken visit some villages by train

Interlarken Zurich

Zurich Prague Night Train Sleeper

Bernina Express from Tirano Station

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    27 January 2013 at 4:00:28 #837955

Hello Margaret! You’ll be making quite some long and expensive train journeys, so yes: a rail pass will certainly save you money. There would be several options for your itinerary. The Swiss Half Fare Card (please find details here) would be fine, but note that you will have to buy discounted train tickets for each trip. In all, I think the Swiss Saver Pass (please see this page) would be the most comfortable solution for your itinerary, as you won’t have to buy additional tickets for most journeys. I don’t know the duration of your stay though; maybe an 8 day variant would be fine. If you do like fee traveling, but only on a number of days and not on all days, please take a look at the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass here.

These guidelines allow you to calculate which options is cheapest for your plans; this overview may also serve as a starting point.

Does that get you started? You’re welcome to get back with further questions!

• The thread ‘Advice on train travel and cost’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.