Advice on Which Pass to Purchase

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2015 at 2:48:42 #807320

Hello,

We are 2 families. 4 adults and 3 children (ages 8, 7 and 4). Our travel dates in Swiss are 16th June to 23rd June. Our itinerary as below. Can you please help guide as to which rail pass will suit us the best?

16th June – Spending the day in Zurich

17th June – Train to Lucerne. Spending day in Lucerne old town

18th June – Travel to Mount Titlis and back to Lucerne. Night stay in Lucerne.

19th June – Travel to Bern by train and back to Lucerne. Stay in Lucerne.

20th June – Travel by rain from Lucerne to Wengen. Stay in Wengen

21st June – Travel to Jungfrau and back to wengen.

22nd June – Train from Wengen to Geneva. Spend day in Geneva including night stay.

23rd June – afternoon flight to Venice

Appreciate your help and advice for the above itinerary and travel plans. Again we will be using buses and boat rides as needed within the days we spent in each town/cities.

rgds, Archit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 May 2015 at 6:45:16 #843536

Hi Archit,

At first glance I would say Swiss Half Fare Cards work out best from a price point of view. You may want to compare it with 8-day Swiss Travel Passes. In both cases, the children travel for free with the free Swiss Family Card you can order along with the passes. Please see here for how to compare.

Be sure to click to the Price and Discounts sections on the pass pages I linked to, so that you can buy online at the best rate. Allow a couple of days for delivery.

A few tips about your itinerary: I would skip Geneva and have an additional day in Wengen. Right now, you only have one full day there. If the weather happens to be bad you will miss the Jungfrau. After Wengen you can easily travel to Venice by train. That’s more comfortable and allows you to see more of the scenery. Either of the above passes is valid to Domodossola (the Swiss border). So you would need regular tickets from there to Venice: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/italy.

I hope this was useful for you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2015 at 0:04:56 #843537

Thank you Arno for your advice. I did end up purchasing the half fare card.

rgds, Archit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2015 at 0:09:06 #843538

hi Arno,

Sorry I have 1 more question which if I can bother you with. How do I get Swiss family card for the children. Do I get this online or when I start my journey in Swiss in any railway stations?

rgds, Archit

Arno
    15483 posts
    31 May 2015 at 8:41:45 #843539

Hi Archit,

You could have ordered along the Swiss Family Card with your pass. Through http://www.raileurope.com.sg/ pass/swiss-half-fare- card, for example. You can’t order it separately, but you can still get it at the rail station in Switzerland when you validate your pass.

• The thread ‘Advice on Which Pass to Purchase’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.