Advice – which rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2011 at 8:48:29 #804255

Hi,

Could anyone give me some advice – I’m very confused!

We are going on holiday this August, driving from the UK to Lauterbrunnen. I am taking my two children aged 6 & 8, and my elderly mother, and staying at Camping Jungfrau. Myself and the two children are staying for three weeks in total, but my mother is flying home after 7 days, and my husband is flying out to join me for the remaining two weeks. Given that we have a car, so getting to and from the airport is not a problem, which rail pass is the best to go for? As I understand it, for the first week my mother and I have the choice of the Jungfraunbahn Pass, which gives unlimited travel in a relatively smaller area, or the Berner Oberland Pass, which gives 3 days unlimited travel and 4 days reduced price, but covers a larger area and also covers the boats on the Thuner and Brienzer See. Would both of these passes cover my two children or do I pay extra for them? For the second two weeks, I understand there is a 15 day Berner Oberland Pass, but is there a Jungfraubahn Pass that covers two weeks, or is it simply a case of buying one for each week? And is it cheaper to buy these passes in advance or do I wait until we get there?

Thanks in advance!

Tracy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 May 2011 at 15:40:09 #832684

Hi Tracy,

The passes you mentioned, along with the Swiss Half Fare Card, are the options to consider in your case. The Jungfrau Railways Pass is great if you’re sure you will travel in that small area only. It’s only available for 6 days. I’m not sure what children would pay for the Jungfrau Railways Pass. I guess they travel along for free with a Junior travelcard, but I’m not sure.

As for the other passes: children’s fares and purchase options (locally and online) are listed on the Swiss Half Fare Card page and the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland page.

All in all, unless you travel really extensively, the Swiss Half Fare Card may very well be your best option. It is valid for your whole stay, and children travel along for free.

• The thread ‘Advice – which rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.