Advice choosing rail pass for 6 days Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2017 at 23:43:25 #812935

Hi!

I’ve already planned my trip to Berness Oberland, Bern, Chillon Castle and Zermatt. I’ve done the math on point to poin trains and I’m almost sure the Swiss Travel Pass will be the best option. Just want to share with you experts my itinerary to make sure I am in the right decision:

Arrive August 27 at Zurich

27 Zurich to Interlaken Ost

27 Interlaken Ost to Mürren via Lauterbrunnen

28 Mürren all day (Gimmewald, Wengen, the valley…)

29 Bern round trip from Interlaken Ost (add coming from Mürren to Interlaken Ost)

30 Mürren all day (Gimmewald, Wengen, the valley…)

31 Chillon Castle round trip (add coming from Mürren to Interlaken Ost)

1 Interlaken Ost to Zermatt

1 Zermatt to Brig

I guess the 4 non consecutive days would be the best option, what do you think? Please I really need your advice.

Thanks in advance

Veronica

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2017 at 7:52:03 #868250

Hi Veronica and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, I think the Swiss Travel Pass would make the most sense. You are doing quite a bit of travel all over the country. As you will be using the Swiss Travel Pass every day you are in Switzerland (I assume you will use buses or cable cars etc) you may want to instead look at the 8 day consecutive Swiss Travel Pass, rather than the Swiss Travel Pass Flex 4 day.

I might stop in Bern on the way to Mürren for a visit then, rather than come back on the 29th. Also Chillon Castle is a long trip from Mürren as well (make sure you really want to go!)

Use the Swiss Railways timetable here to plan all your trips and see duration and how many train change you will need to make.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 1:33:35 #868251

Thanks Lucas for you time!

Stopping at Bern before arriving at Murren sounds good, the problem is we will be coming from a loooong trip from home (we leave at 8:00 from Puerto Rico the day before) and landing at Zurich almost 18 hours later. I guess we would not really enjoy Bern because of jetlag. Otherwise, it would be a great idea.

And about the 8 days pass, I’ll take your advise! I’ll be ordering today the 8 days pass.

thank you so much for your help!!!

veronica

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 7:05:57 #868252

Fair point on jetlag!

I would play it be easy and decide on the 29th what you want to do – Bern is a lovely city but there is also so much to see and do around Murren!

It is nice and easy to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here, that way it is emailed to you to print at home (just hop on the first train you can get from the airport and go!)

Lucas

• The thread ‘Advice choosing rail pass for 6 days Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.