UNESCO World Heritage Albula or Bernina line?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2016 at 17:19:33 #808275

Grüezi !

I would like to take a train through UNESCO World Heritage route but wonder which line I should take, between Albula or Bernina line? Am I able to see snow if I travel during mid March?

Merci vilmal!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 January 2016 at 18:10:47 #847690

Grüezi pingping,

You will see snow on the mountains wherever you go, and I expect there’s still some snow left on the ground as well on the higher legs of those routes. The Bernina line crosses the Bernina Pass, which is the highest point of both lines. If you take the Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano you’ll see both lines.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2016 at 18:38:12 #847691

Danke schön Arno!

I am hesitating whether to take Bernina line or Albula line as Bernina line will take 4 hours while Albula line offer me to stop any station I want to. What is the difference between these two routes? I am trying to search but couldn’t get the clear answer.

One more question, which one do you prefer among romantic routes, between Bernina/Albula/Glacier express or other routes?

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 January 2016 at 19:01:22 #847692

You’re welcome 🙂 Did you click to the Route section of the page I gave you? Lots of details there. You can always stop at any station, at any line. It’s a matter of which train you choose. If you prefer the official Bernina Express: that’s a direct train with seat reservations, so most people don’t get off but do the full ride. You can also take local trains without reservations and stop anywhere you want to.

All lines you mentioned are wonderful. I really like the Bernina line, but I usually mean the full route, i.e. Albula and Bernina combined. The Glacier Express is amazing as well, but it takes twice the amount of time.

I’m not sure where you plan to stay, but from Chur you can easily do a day trip to Tirano and back, if you don’t mind a long day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2016 at 19:50:10 #847693

I live in Basel so, I can go to Chur for a day trip anytime. I am hesitating whether to stay a night in Tirano or go back to Basel.

Thank you so much

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 January 2016 at 8:03:55 #847694

In that case it will be a very long day if you plan to do this as a day trip. Here’s an option for one day: skip the Bernina line and follow this route: Basel – Chur – St. Moritz – Sagliains – Landquart – Basel. It’s doable in a day and you’ll see a lot of the canton of Graubünden. For two days including the Bernina line it would be better to spend the night somewhere.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2016 at 8:11:15 #847695

would I see the Landwasser Viaduct, helical tunnels between Bergün and Preda and the Brusio Circular Viaduct if I follow your suggested route?

Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 January 2016 at 8:27:18 #847696

Not Brusio, you would need to do the entire route for that. The others are included. Plus a very nice leg in the Unterengadin region on your way back from St. Moritz.

Of course you can try to add the Bernina line to the suggested route, but I don’t think there would be much time left to get off the train if you do it in one day. It will be a very long day of trains only. Check sun rise and sun set times to be sure you can actually enjoy the views! Two days would be so much nicer, with time left for a short hike for example.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2016 at 9:29:29 #847697

Thank you so much. May be I should go in May, according to the link you gave. Sothat I can see both green and snow with longer daytime. but if i would like to spend night, would tirano be a good choice? which town(s) you think the good places to hike?

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 January 2016 at 10:49:33 #847698

Hi pingping,

I don’t know Tirano that well. Personally I would spend the night in the Upper Engadine area: St. Moritz, Celerina, Samedan, Pontresina, Bever, etc. If you need help finding accommodation, please feel free to post your requirements here.

The whole area is a hiking paradise. It’s important to hike below the snow line, which more challenging in May than in July. The Bernina Pass may or may not be clear of snow. If it’s clear, it might be muddy so be sure to have waterproof hiking shoes. Or pick a lower trail in the valley. To find something that fits your requirements, you’d better browse the options yourself: myswissalps.com/ upperengadine/ activities.

• The thread ‘UNESCO World Heritage Albula or Bernina line?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.