Swiss Travel Pass discounts?!

• Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    19 February 2017 at 4:45:02 #810847

I can’t see how a Swiss pass or even half fare pass saves any money? How can you spend over 400CHF on transportation in a couple weeks? Even the longest journey from Geneva to Lauterbrunnen looks to be only about 40CHF.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 9:08:43 #859129

Hi Debra,

The Swiss Travel pass (and the Swiss Half-Fare Card) is useful for travelers who are making a lot of train trips within Switzerland – in your case you are looking at the 15 day pass I believe. The pass covers virtually all forms of transport in Switzerland (and offers discounts on the few other routes). As well, it alleviates the need to buy individuals tickets all the time (just hop on and go).

If you are only planning on a couple train trips in 15 days then it does not make sense to buy a travel pass – Please note, however, that it certainly is possible to spend $400CHF in 2 weeks on trains, buses, boats and public transit in Switzerland.

Perhaps having a look at our information page on how to choose the best rail pass will help you. There is an excel sheet you can use to help you decide if it is better to just buy point to point tickets instead.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 11:46:38 #859130

Hi Debra

Lucas is right try actually booking a ticket by entering the details of the passenger and then it will give you the full fare and also the option to see the fare with a Swiss Half Fare there are significant savings to be made and i think the biggest savings is not having the hassle of always having to carry lots of cash around with you as you have virtually paid for your holiday travel in advance as with the Swiss Travel Pass you can just jump on any train, boat, cog railway (some exceptions might be the sceenic trains) lucas and arno can correct me on that one.

it is a minefield of options and having used the Swiss Travel Pass before I am so finding it very difficult in my case not to have one as I am not staying my ultimate holiday in Switzerland but travelling also to Austria and by train from the UK initially so looking more toward the Interrail passes.

Hope you sort and enjoy your holiday

PS bear in mind that many fare are not available for up to 3 months before travel which I am finding and therefore I suggest putting in a current date and that will give you an indication of fare price I’m also adding 10% to the price shown due to travelling in June/July high season in terms of summer holidays.

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    19 February 2017 at 15:29:29 #859131

Does the pice of a pass go up in July as well? Here is what I’m doing; flying in to Geneva, staying in chamonix for 2 nights then hiking the tmb for 11 or 12 days I’m still figuring that out. Then taking the train to lauterbrunnen and staying there for 8 days or so I think (I’m st work right now so don’t have the exact dates at hand) while in chamonix initially I also want to go to the mer de glas I think it’s called so I think there’s a train involved there. So my transportation needs will be chopped up through my stay.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 February 2017 at 15:41:06 #859132

Hi Twiggy321 and Debra,

The standard fares only change once a year on January 1. There is no need to add 10% for traveling in high season. The same applies to passes. You may not be able to find a price for next summer because they don’t sell the ticket yet, but the price will be the same as it is now.

The only reason to pay a (little) more or less in the future would be if you buy from a retailer who happens to offer a promotion, or if you pay in another currency and the exchange rate causes you to loose or gain a bit. Retailer links and prices are available on all of our pass pages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 15:46:26 #859133

Hi Debra, your best bet is to decide on which trains trips you will take and then use the excel sheet on the “how to choose the best rail pass” that I linked above and do the math to see if a Swiss Travel Pass or Half-Fare Card will be worth it.

As your train trips may well be quite spread out, due to the hiking trips you are doing, the Swiss Half-fare Card might make the most sense.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass discounts?!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.