Am I understanding the Express Luggage service?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2016 at 18:42:11 #809024

We’ll be traveling from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen by train and a few days later from Lauterbrunnen to Montreux. Both of these trips involve a few train changes, and my husband and I will each have one suitcase. If we use the Express Luggage service, each travel day it will cost us CHF 52 (12 each per bag and a flat rate of 30 for the service).

Any side trips we want to do either on the way or once we reach our destinations, we can do without worrying about the luggage. For example, when we arrive the first travel day in Lauterbrunnen we could take the bus to Trümmelbach Falls and then pick up our luggage at the station later. Or on the 2nd travel day when we leave from Lauterbrunnen, we could stop off at a station along the way and then reboard a different train heading to Montreux later.

Am I correct in this? At both Lauterbrunnen and Montreux we have until 18:00 to pick the luggage up? Or does it mean we cannot pick up the luggage before 18:00?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2016 at 0:38:08 #851279

I found one answer on another site. Our luggage will be available to be picked up any time after 18:00. It might get there earlier, but it’s not guaranteed to be.

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 April 2016 at 4:02:14 #851280

Hi Canadarocks,

The price for two bags is CHF 54. After your first transfer you can pick up the luggage from 18:00, not before 18:00. The transfer from Lauterbrunnen to Montreux takes longer and you can pick up the bags the next day from 12:15. You’ll find details and links to pick up times at myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ luggage. How you reach your destination does not matter; you can have as many breaks or detours as you want. Your trip won’t be related to the luggage transfer in any way.

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2016 at 4:43:42 #851281

54 is right.

Yes I discovered the time problem with the Lauterbrunnen – Montreux route. I think I may have figured out a solution. Please let me know if you think my first option makes sense.

Interlaken Ost – Montreux does have same day delivery. So we could leave Lauterbrunnen really early the day we are travelling and get to Interlaken Ost to drop our luggage off there for their same day delivery. There is a train from Lauterbrunnen that gets us into Interlaken Ost at 8:24. A half hour should be plenty of time to bring our luggage to the Express Baggage area, correct? We’d miss out on our included breakfast at the hotel in Lauterbrunnen, but perhaps they could bag something for us. Not really a major concern.

The other option is dropping off our luggage at the train station the day before we leave Lauterbrunnen, and just keep an overnight bag with us for our last day and overnight there. But that means having to carry around that overnight bag all the next day. So not really a good choice.

I realize we could change our plans and stay in Interlaken Ost, but I know that is not as nice a place to stay as Lauterbrunnen will be. So that isn’t really an option.

Fortunately the Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen baggage transfer will work far more easily.

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 April 2016 at 15:37:38 #851282

Hi Canadarocks,

Both your alternative options should work fine. I agree that Lauterbrunnen is a better place to stay, assuming you prefer good scenery over lots of shops.

• The thread ‘Am I understanding the Express Luggage service?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.