Amsterdam to Zurich: City Night Line service

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2015 at 11:05:38 #808153

Has anyone recently used this overnight train from Amsterdam into Zurich. I want to ask some questions :

1) Is the couchette option convenient for a family of 4 ( 2 A + 2 C ) ?

I was hoping to book a 4 berth couchette but it looks like they are going to remove this option from December onward,In that case I will have to book 5 berths in a 6 berth couchette, since I am traveling in July 2016.

From what I have read from Mark Smith’s website Seat 61: ( Sorry, not sure whether we can publish this kind of stuff from another website, apologies if not,and please remove. )

“From 13 December 2015 City Night Line will no longer offer 4-berth couchettes, only 6-berth. But they say they will only ever book 5 people into a 6-berth, to give extra room. So a family of 4 will need to book 5 berths in a 6-berth to get a 4-berth.

2) Is it safe ?

3) Is it too noisy to sleep ? I mean are the train coaches really old or modern ?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Kind Regards

Vineet

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 November 2015 at 15:46:09 #847099

Hi Veneet,

1) I don’t have a lot of details about this train, but if you have a private compartment for just your family it should be fine I think.

2) Yes it is. Standard precautions do apply of course: lock the door, don’t leave your luggage unattended, etc.

3) I’ve only done this twice, a long time ago. The trains were comfortable, but it really is a personal thing whether or not you can sleep while moving. I don’t recall it being extremely noisy (for a train) and it was fun to travel like this. Headphones or ear plugs might be helpful.

There’s information on http://www.bahn.com too (search for “city night line”).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 November 2015 at 22:51:49 #847100

Hi Veneet-

No personal experience and no experience with Amsterdam/Zürich on the City Night Line.

Good friends in Zürich use the City Night Line to/from Hamburg routinely. They are quite happy with it.

They do note that sometime in the past year or so the management has changed from Swiss to German. The extra friendliness has been replaced by efficiency.

They still use it.

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2015 at 1:11:02 #847101

Thanks Annika.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2015 at 1:11:27 #847102

Thanks Slowpoke.

• The thread ‘Amsterdam to Zurich: City Night Line service’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.