An entire week of rain in Interlaken. Help needed.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2016 at 0:13:23 #809431

Hey everyone,

I am reaching Interlaken early on 16th June and weather is looking mean everywhere for next 8 days. I go back on 23rd evening. I was so excited for the trip. I had plans to visit Lauterbrunnen valley, Grindelwald, do first flyer and trotti bike, Mount Titlis, Schilthorn, Zermatt, mount Rigi and few more things on my plate. But till 23rd shows rain and rain. What should I do ? Please help.

Thanks a lot.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 June 2016 at 8:58:58 #853032

Hi Jade-

Weather forecasts are notoriously unreliable, especially in mountain areas.

They really are only good for a few days in advance.

Also, if there is rain expected anywhere in an area, it has to be shown in a forecast. The weather in Switzerland varies quite a lot over small areas, due to the geography. So, often I go out on a day with a forecast for rain and find only clouds or even sunshine in the small area where I am going. Not always, of course.

The Meteocentrale weather site has a good map showing localized weather details in Switzerland. I don’t know the site well, so I don’t know about its forecasts, but they have a good reputation:

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/e n/europe/weather-switzerland/map/108/

If their forecasts , or any forecasts, show sun peeking out from the clouds, there is at least some hope for that day in that region.

Also, the Rhone Valley often is dry, and even sunny, when the rest of Switzerland is wet.

A train ride via Kandersteg, to Brig might prove to be clear enough, especially on the southern end, to be enjoyable. Go over the top via Kandersteg, on the local train “Lötschberger” not through the new lower fast and boring “basis tunnel.”

Bern is a town whose appeal is not completely eliminated by bad weather:

Those thoughts cannot withstand a forecast that is, literally,

<<“weather is looking mean everywhere for next 8 days.”>>

It can certainly be disappointing to go high up in the Alps and be inside a cloud.

Sometimes, there is a cloud deck, and the weather is tolerable, if not bright and sunny, beneath it.

So, for example:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/3-rainy-days-in-lucenre-what-to-do

Also, for what it is worth, the forecast for 21.6 and 22.6 in Interlaken looks to be clear and sunny. Not that I trust it very much.

The Ticino –

This region south of the Alps often has weather completely different from the rest of Switzerlnd,because it is south of the Alps. You thus might consider a train ride to Locarno or Lugano. Both are attractive towns; Locarno is a bit more compact.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15482 posts
    13 June 2016 at 9:59:16 #853033

Indeed, do not trust the weather forecasts for 4+ days ahead of time. And if it does rain all day, you can still visit towns like Bern and Lucerne or go to other regions as explained above.

Please find the forecast, and how to interpret it, here: myswissalps.com/ weather/forecast.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2016 at 14:58:02 #853034

Thanks a lot Slowpoke & Arno.I really hope that weather doesn’t act too bad. Thanks a lot for alternative suggestions Slowpoke.

weather is getting better in Interlaken area on 21.6 but that day I am leaving for Zermatt.

I hope I can make most of my trip.

Fingers crossed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2016 at 23:15:04 #853035

I was two weeks in Kandersteg and Wengen last June/July. The forecast was rain every day but…..everyday we went out and the rain would clear higher up. Many days it was intermittently rainy but the sun would come out and we would still get a sunburn. Any day in the alps is better than a day at home – it’s all in the attitude. Enjoy!!!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 June 2016 at 0:24:02 #853036

Hi Jade-

<<“weather is getting better in Interlaken area on 21.6 but that day I am leaving for Zermatt.”>>

Perhaps you might find the weather would be better if you went to Zermatt earlier ( or not at all) and used the good days near the Jungfrau?

Slowpoke

Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    14 June 2016 at 4:46:19 #853037

Hi Jade,

Please don’t be discouraged. For the last two weeks, the forecast was for rain this week. However, we are in Pontresina right now, and we have enjoyed two glorious days of bright sunshine and clear skies. The weather forecast was right in the sense that it sprinkled a little, late in the evening on Sunday, and it rained for 1/2 an hour around 7 pm yesterday, but cleared up quickly. Switzerland is so breathtakingly beautiful rain or shine!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2016 at 11:52:51 #853038

Thank you so much munichmaria, slowpoke and travelbug53.

All this makes me feel good now, finally. I am looking forward to my trip. I will definitely post how it went.

slowpoke : I already have hotel bookings for Zermatt for last 3 days, so it won’t be possible to change the itinerary now.

Thanks a lot to each one of you once again. I am pumped up.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 June 2016 at 15:02:07 #853039

Hi Jade –

Good luck with the weather.

We used to always go in June….love the wild flowers in the alpine meadows. But, the flowers are growing because it does rain a lot.

Now, we aim for September for our longer trips. On average, drier. And, schools are back in session, reducing the number of travelers.

Hope that you and the rain are indifferent places when it does rain. ;-

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘An entire week of rain in Interlaken. Help needed.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.