Any hiking trail from Schynigge Platte to Bussalp?

• hanswart
    Participant
    5 posts
    2 May 2015 at 5:28:03 #807165

In our trip in BO, my wife and I will take train from Wengen-Wilderswil to Schynigge Platte in end of September. If we don’t want to take the same train route back to Wengen, is there any hiking trail from Schynigge Platte to Bussalp, where we can take bus to Grindelwald and later return to Wengen?

Or is there any hiking trail from Schynigge Platte to Lutschental or Schwendi, where we can take train to Grindelwald or return to Wengen via this route?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2015 at 14:37:36 #842832

[quote]hanswart said:

In our trip in BO, my wife and I will take train from Wengen-Wilderswil to Schynigge Platte in end of September. If we don’t want to take the same train route back to Wengen, is there any hiking trail from Schynigge Platte to Bussalp, where we can take bus to Grindelwald and later return to Wengen?

Or is there any hiking trail from Schynigge Platte to Lutschental or Schwendi, where we can take train to Grindelwald or return to Wengen via this route?

[/quote]

I have no personal knowledge on that point. This may help. Check this link to Switzerland Mobility. A very useful site.

wanderland.ch/en/hiking-in.html? phrase=Bussalp+%28BE%29 +-+Grindelwald& sname=&sid=67149

Expand the map until you can see Bussalp.

Note that if you descend from Schynige Platte to the valley floor, you have an approximately 1600 meter descent. I hope your knees are in good condition. 😉

hanswart
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 May 2015 at 10:39:59 #842833

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks for your input, especially for the link to http://www.wanderland.ch/en. So many hiking option available, though I still can’t find the hiking trail from Schynigge Platte to Bussalp or Schwendi.I can find Bussalp on the map, but still not sure how to get there from Schynigge Platte.

If no one can share his/her experience taking this trail, it seems I have to take the train back to Wilderswil and later to Wengen or Grindelwald via Schwendi.

Regards

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 May 2015 at 11:32:11 #842834

Hi hanswart,

The green line on the map Slowpoke shared is the trail. It goes a bit south of the Faulhorn, then down to Bussalp. Many people will walk to First, and take the cable car down to Grindelwald. Walking to Bussalp is a bit shorter, but still about 5 hours (without breaks) I think.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 May 2015 at 14:09:08 #842835

Make sure to expand the map. Zoom in.

hanswart
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 May 2015 at 15:07:23 #842836

Hi Arno & Slowpoke,

Now I understand and see the hiking trail from Schynigge P to Bussalp or the longer one to First, or even the shorter one to Burglauenen.

Your in-depth knowledge really helps.

Thanks a lot.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 May 2015 at 15:19:37 #842837

[quote]Arno said:

Hi hanswart,

The green line on the map Slowpoke shared is the trail. It goes a bit south of the Faulhorn, then down to Bussalp. Many people will walk to First, and take the cable car down to Grindelwald. Walking to Bussalp is a bit shorter, but still about 5 hours (without breaks) I think.

[/quote]

Arno-

What would you rate the difficulty of this trail? Or, the one to First.

Hiking boots essential?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 May 2015 at 6:03:19 #842838

Hi Slowpoke,

This is quite a demanding hike (this very much depends on experience of course). It definitely requires hiking boots, and I would recommend a hiking pole as well.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 May 2015 at 6:50:25 #842839

<<“This is quite a demanding hike (this very much depends on experience of
    course). It definitely requires hiking boots, and I would recommend a
    hiking pole as well.”>>

My friends in Switzerland have warned me that the hikes mentioned are strenuous, and have suggested that I leave a lot of extra time. I do not walk fast at high altitude, especially on trails with lots of up and down sections.

They suggested that I pay close attention to the timing of the last trips down the lifts.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2015 at 13:13:54 #842840

My wife & I took a bus from Mieringen to Grosse Schynigge a few years ago and then walked to First & then the long ride down to Grindelwald. Had lunch at Grosse S. and then the nice walk to First. Hiking boots were note needed since we only take one pair of shoes with us. It was an easy walk not really a hike with gradual changes in altitude. Mostly on a dirt road. Will be going back to CH this Sept and intend to do the walk again.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 May 2015 at 14:12:12 #842841

<<“My wife & I took a bus from Mieringen to Grosse Schynigge a few years ago and then walked to First & then the long ride down to Grindelwald. Had lunch at Grosse S. and then the nice walk to First. Hiking boots were note needed since we only take one pair of shoes with altitude. Mostly on a dirt road. Will be going back to CH this Sept and intend to do the walk again.”>>

You probably took a bus from Meiringen to Grosse Scheidegg.

The trails mentioned earlier are substantially more rugged. You were on an easy trail, with no more than about a 200 meter altitude change at 2000 to 2200 meters, over a 3 or 4 km. The trail from Schynige Platte at 2100 meters to First at about 2160 meters is not an easy stroll. There is substantially more altitude change both up and down (near Faulhorn, in particular up to about 2680 meters) , over 3 or 4 times the distance ( about 12 km.) Going only to Büssalp covers the toughest part of the trail, and includes a 500 meter steep descent at the end.

map.geo.admin.ch/? X=168370.00& Y=642910.00& zoom=5& lang=en& topic=swisstopo& bgLayer=ch. swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 May 2015 at 14:38:59 #842842

[quote]hanswart said:

Hi Arno & Slowpoke,

Now I understand and see the hiking trail from Schynigge P to Bussalp or the longer one to First, or even the shorter one to Burglauenen.

Your in-depth knowledge really helps.

Thanks a lot.

[/quote]

Look carefully at the altitude changes.

hanswart
    Participant
    5 posts
    11 May 2015 at 1:45:54 #842843

Hi Connestee712 & Slowpoke,

Thanks for the info & altitude notes.

Hanswart

• The thread ‘Any hiking trail from Schynigge Platte to Bussalp?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.