Any scenic trains operating in the month of Nov??

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2012 at 0:21:13 #805617

Hello all,

I’ve planned to travel to Switzerland during 4th – 9th Nov. I researched a few swiss travel websites but it seems like in the month of Nov, there’s not much scenic trains or boats operating. Is this information correct?

I’m looking at these few tourist attractions, can experts advise what’s the best route for sightseeing? If there’s any scenic trains/boats operating during the Nov period?

From Brig to Zermatt -> to see Matterhorn
    From Brig to Interlaken to Jungfrau/Lauterbrunnen -> to visit Top of europe
    From Lausanne to Vevey -> to visit Chillon Castle
    From Lausanne to Broc -> to visit Callier Chocolate factory

Many Thanks

Rgds,
    Lezzo

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 September 2012 at 9:30:16 #837187

Hi Lezzo. November is low season indeed and quite some cable cars and boats won’t be operating. Your plans are no problem though: Brig-Zermatt-Gornergrat is accessible all year long, just as the Jungfraujoch. You can visit the Chillon castle by train to Montreux, instead of by boat. The Chocolate Train to Broc doesn’t run in November, but the factory can be visited by regular public transportation. Some famous scenic trains such as the Glacier Express and Golden Pass also run throughout the year.

I hope this provides some reassurance!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2012 at 3:51:24 #837188

Thanks Arno. I’ll try to search for the mentioned scenic trains ride for Nov period.

Just another query: I have purchased Swiss pass 2-for-1 promo. While traveling between long rides (e.g from Brig to Interlaken / Brig to Lausanne / Lausanne to Broc) , is it necessary or is there seat reservation required?

Rgds.

Annika
    7116 posts
    16 September 2012 at 7:41:03 #837189

Hi lezzo. Your Swiss Pass covers nearly all rides (please review the downloadable validity map at the Swiss pass page) and in most cases, additional seat reservations aren’t necessary. It’s only required for some special scenic trains (such as the Chocolate Train to Broc). Here’s how to find out whether you need a seat reservation.

• The thread ‘Any scenic trains operating in the month of Nov??’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.