Any suggestion for easy walk or biking in Murren?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2015 at 5:21:27 #808051

We (my wife and self, both 50+) want to do easy walk or bike (or e-bike) around Jungfrau or around on 22-Oct. We would prefer easy (downhill, but not too steep), country side or hill side walk for 2-3 hours that would expose us into the villages or nature or scenic views.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 October 2015 at 7:13:06 #846620

Here are some thoughts –

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

This detailed map may help. Mürren itself is not very large. Mürren to Gimmewald may be open. The 300 meter descent may test your knees.

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=en&p&etappe=25.04 &bgLayer=pk&layers=Wan derland&resolution=10& X=634230&Y=156160

Trails up at 2000 plus meters may be snowed in:

http://www.swisspanorama.com/ html/maennlichencam1.h tml

This quick look shows that the trail is pat least partly open, but it looks like the lift up from Wengen is not running.

Look at other webcams for the region.

http://www.swisspanorama.com/ html/livecams.html

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/service-aktuelles/webcams.html ?lc=de&cc=

Try to find the Valley floor at Lauterbrunnen or Stechelberg. Thas a level walk of a a few hours, with a bus service along the route with a few stops.

Slowpoke

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    21 October 2015 at 16:10:28 #846621

Two of the walks described in my document (seen in first link Slowpoke provided) will suit:

Mürren to Grütschalp – flat, 3 miles with a train stop at Winteregg about half way along

Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg – this would be my choice, as Slowpoke recommends. Take the train/gondola down to Lauterbrunnen. Head south from train station and walk through the village. This will put you out on a lovely flat path of about 4 miles. You will walk right by Staubbach falls and several others. The path goes right along the Weisslutschine river. Very scenic. There are multiple bus stops along the route but you will need to cut over to the east on one of the many connecting paths to get to the main road. Stechelberg Inn is a wonderful place to stop for lunch. After lunch you can take the gondola from Stechelberg-Schilthorn station (you will have passed it along the way) back up to Mürren via Gimmelwald.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2015 at 17:12:50 #846622

Hello,

Thanks for the info.

Today, I hurt my ankle a little bit. we may not be able to do walking tour. I will still review all the information given above by Slowpoke and Kim11 to check if we can do anyone of this. As an alternative, I am considering renting a bike from Interlaken West station. Would it be possible to do Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg by e-bike? Are there any stretches that are risky (gravel on the path)?

Alternatively, I am considering taking the bike and going by train to Grindenwald and come back by road or bike trail. Is there any bike trail to Interlaken? Or woudl there be any other bike options?

Thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 October 2015 at 18:27:45 #846623

<<“Would it be possible to do Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg by e-bike? Are there any stretches that are risky (gravel on the path)?”>>

That would be a good option’ Recall a paved “trail” but Annika should confirm.

Thr trains from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen may have a place to transport bicycles. Ask at the Flying Wheels or train station. There is no indication in the time table that I can see.

I am surprised that you cannot rent an e-bike in Lauterbrunnen, but I see that you have done your homework. They don’t seem to be offered, as far as I can tell. Hope I am wrong.

Slowpoke.

Annika
    7115 posts
    21 October 2015 at 19:07:41 #846624

“Imboden bike” in Lauterbrunnen offers “Elektrobikes” for sale; I don’t know if they rent them. You can contact them through http://www.imboden-bike.ch. Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg is easy. I never did it by bike but can’t imagine any risky parts.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2015 at 11:04:55 #846625

Hello,

We did the Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg walk. It was very nice. Most part of the route is paved (as indicated). We took the bus from Hotel Stechelberg (last point in town) and returned to Interlaken.

Thanks a LOT for all your inputs, Annika, Kim11, Slowpoke. It made our swiss holidays memorable.

Deepak

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 October 2015 at 12:19:20 #846626

Glad it worked for you, and that you found how to see what you wanted.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Any suggestion for easy walk or biking in Murren?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.