April 11-16 – 3 days in Lucerne/3 days in Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2017 at 17:00:26 #810769

Hi all,

Needed help to plan my 6 day Family trip with 3days in Lucerne as base 4/11-4/14 and 3days in Zurich. Travelling with two daughter’s age 7 and 3yrs.

Here is my draft plan:

April 11th: Flying in from NYC and reaching at 8.30 in the morning. Take a train straight from the airport to Lucerne. Walk around Lucerne, may be some boating

April 12th: Interlaken, Jungfrau and Kleine Scheidegg (start early in the day like 7am) (What is the best combination for a scenic route)

April 13th: Mt,Titlis or Mt,Pilatus in the afternoon

April 14: Travel from Lucerne to Zurich and may be half a day of sightseeing in Zurich

April 15th- Travel to Rigi (I am open for suggestions to fill in this day)

April 16th- Open Day and need suggestions to see anything in Zurich or around there. Would prefer to see natural scenic places along with some kid friendly options.

Thinking of going to get the Swiss family train pass for first 4days. 11-14th. The hotel we are staying from 14-17in Zurich is providing some type of pass which is good for trains and museums.

Any inputs/Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Along with recommendation’s for Vegetarian/Vegan restaurants along this route.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 February 2017 at 17:57:50 #858828

Hi Devbaid

Welcome to my Swiss Alps.

I’ll start with some comments, and hope to fill in a bit more later. Likely, others will jump in.

Look here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

<<“April 16th- Open Day and need suggestions to see anything in Zurich or around there. Would prefer to see natural scenic places along with some kid friendly options.”>>

Zürich is a great city, full of culture, restaurants, shopping. It is my favorite. It is not in the Alps and not known for its natural beauty or scenery.

There is science museum (Technorama) at Winterthur, and it does try to have attractions for kids. 7 years old might like it; 3 yrs old….possibly not.

Unless you already have specific things that you want to see and do, some place other than Zürich would meet your goals better. If you know Zürich, I would not try to dissuade you from visiting.

At random-

<<“April 12th: Interlaken, Jungfrau and Kleine Scheidegg (start early in the day like 7am) (What is the best combination for a scenic route)”>>

The best route can be determined from a map and the timetable. (see links below.)

The most scenic and fastest (via Meiringen) takes 4 hours and departs Luzern at xx05 every hour.

Going via Bern is another option, takes about 1/2 hour longer, and is less scenic.

April 15th-

Stay in Luzern to go to the Rigi. Why go to Zürich first?

Check this map:

map.search.ch/.en.html ?pos=697216,225536&z=4

Zoom in for details.

The timetable will guide you, as well:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Boat service is limited in April, but you might be able to take the boat to Vitznau and the cograil that connects with it to the top of the Rigi – “Rigi Kulm.”

Check this link and scroll down to “seasonal timetables.”

Perhaps your children would enjoy a visit to the Transport Museum in Luzern after you return from the Rigi? There is also a very nice children’s playground by the lake at the Transport Museum.

map.search.ch/.en.html ?pos=668256,211413&z=20 48. It is called the Lido.

A famous vegetarian restaurant in Zürich is Hiltl.

http://www.hiltl.ch/en/

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/food-options-in-switzerland

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/culture history/food

At high altitudes- such as Jungfraujoch or Kleine Scheidegg, it s pretty much still winter.

Even near Luzern, at lower altitudes, ther may be sometraces of snow on the shaded places on trails. However, you are wise to base at Luzern at that time of year. I hope that you do not have much rain.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 February 2017 at 18:20:06 #858829

Hi Devbaid,

Just to make sure you’re looking into the right train pass: the one you probably mean is the Swiss Travel Pass. The Swiss Family Card is a free add-on. You can request for that while ordering. You’ll find all details here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2017 at 21:12:40 #858830

Yes that is what I meant…getting the Swiss Travel Pass and the kids will be free:)

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    10 February 2017 at 5:58:07 #858831

Hi,

Unless you really need to go to Zurich, I’d concentrate more on Luzern. Certainly, it’s easier to get to the Rigi from Lucerne than from Zurich. There is also the Transport Museum in Luzern which is fun and you can catch one of the beautiful old ferries to get there.

Zurich has some world class museums, such as the Kunsthaus which has a lot of 20th century exhibits, and the Swiss National Museum, but there’s not much there for the kids. There are, however, some amazing toy shops in Zurich, such as the Steiff Galerie that sell the famous Teddy Bears. I’m sure Luzern has a lot of toy shops as well, but It seemed to me that everywhere I looked, there was another fabulous shop, with children trying to drag their parents inside.

The world’s oldest vegetarian restaurent is in Zurich. The Hitl Restaurent was founded in 1898.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Hiltl_Restaurant

Apart from that, you may struggle to be Vegan in Switzerland. They like their meat, and their cheese.

Alan

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 February 2017 at 14:13:54 #858832

For toys,

Franz Carl Weber, in various locations, is famous.

http://www.fcw.ch/

The site is only in French and German, but the internet can help you.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2017 at 21:13:49 #858833

Thanks everyone for the wonderful feedback.

Below is the revised itinerary. Looking forward to your awesome feedback/suggestions

Needed help to plan my 6 day Family trip with 3days in Lucerne as base 4/11-4/14 and 3days in Zurich. Travelling with two daughter’s age 7 and 3yrs.

Here is my draft plan:

April 11th: Flying in from NYC and reaching at 8.30 in the morning. Take a train straight from the airport to Lucerne. 9.30 train reaching Lucerne by 10.30 check in hotel or leave luggage and go to

RIGI via Majestic Round Trip-

Take the boat from Lucerne to Vitznau. Change to the cogwheel train to Rigi Kulm and enjoy the view on the top. Then take the cogwheel train down to Arth-Goldau and change to the regular train to Lucerne. Do we need to make any reservations for boat/train/cogwheel???

If we have time then might go to the Transport Musuem and the park nearby.

April 12th: Planning to take the Golden Pass, Lucerne-Interlaken-Zweisimmen-Montreux

We will have the Swiss Travel Pass and let us know if we need to make any reservations ??? what is the best route for return?

April 13th: Mt,Titlis in the morning and if we come back early then spend a little bit of time in Lucerne

April 14: Mt,Pilatus and back to Lucerne and then later travel from Lucerne to Zurich

April 15th- Zurich to Rhine Falls

April 16th- Science Museum Technoram in Zurich or around there. Would prefer to see natural scenic places along with some kid friendly options.

Thinking of going to get the Swiss Travel Pass for first 4days. 11-14th. Let us know the best places to buy them and we can print and travel with them.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 February 2017 at 22:14:54 #858834

Hi Devbaid

Pretty good.

Some details to consider-

One hour plane to train is possible but might be tight. The trains alternate for whether you have to change at Zurich Hbf.

At xx18, they change at Zürich Hbf.

At xx47, they are direct. You should get the 0947 OK.

Your plans for the day are ambitious. Have you reckoned on jet lag and tired kids?

You hotel may not have a room when you arrive at 1047 or 1100. If they do not, leave your bags and walk around the old town, if the kids are functional.

You do not need reservations on the trips that you describe. The boat from Luzern to Vitznau has limited a schedule in April , check your times.

Also, the boat to Vitznau may stop at the “Verkehrshaus/Lido” . Then, if there is one that you can catch an hour later to continue to Vitznau, your daughters might enjoy a 1 hour break at the playground, if it is not raining.

April 15th is not a full day.

April 16th- is Technorama suitable for children as young as yours?

Check their web site.

http://www.technorama.ch/en/

They do have special demonstrations, and exhibits that children of some age can enjoy. It is hard to find child-friendly activities in Zürich. Some “nature” is available on Uetliberg, but it involves hiking.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 February 2017 at 23:41:56 #858835

Adding to my earlier post regarding lake boat timetables for Vitznau –

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

Scroll down for seasonal timetables

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2017 at 20:21:23 #858836

Thanks for your reply/input.

• The thread ‘April 11-16 – 3 days in Lucerne/3 days in Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.