Are buses in Switzerland cheaper than trains?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 5:21:18 #811625

Hi,

Im travelling to Switzerland on the first week of June 2017. I would appreciate it if you could let me know if buses are cheaper than trains to get from one city to another and if there are connectivities to all major towns and cities. My trip schedule is such that it starts from Zurich…Hence Zurich-Lucerne-(Mt.Titlis)- Interlaken – Jungfraujoch – Zermatt- Matterhorn- Lausanne-Geneva -Bern and back to Zurich..intended for 10 days..will there be buses to and from these places? excluding Mt.titlis and Jungfraujoch of course… and if there are buses should i prebook the tickets or can i do it after i get there? Thanks in Advance 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 13:01:02 #862576

Hi Ann254 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Buses are only available in Switzerland on routes where there are no trains in the area (which isn’t many places). So if traveling by public transit you will be using trains almost exclusively).

As an alternative to individual tickets, you could buy a Swiss Travel Pass which covers most trains, boats and any bus travel in Switzerland. Have a look at the link above to find pricing options and what routes are covered by the pass. Trains between towns are covered and some trains up into the mountains are fully or partially covered by the pass.

Trains or buses are not reserved in Switzerland except for the panoramic trains, so no need to worry about pre-booking.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 4:32:57 #862577

Thankyou so much for your reply! Myswissalps forum is amazing and very helpful!….

Im having a bit of trouble with figuring out the tickets for Mt.titlis…Is there an entry fee for the glacier park and the glacier grotto and the ice flyer? or do i just purchase the cable car tickets from engelberg to mt.titilis? And in case there is an entry fee for the activities up there ,do i get a discount if i buy a swiss half fare card?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 7:39:39 #862578

Hi Ann,

This link to Mt. Titlis should help you. The ice-flyer is 12chf. All activities will note an extra price if needed. Most are free once you are up there.

Also see the Titlis page on MySwissAlps for further details.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Are buses in Switzerland cheaper than trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.