Are Victorinox Swiss Army knives good value

Are Victorinox Swiss Army knives good value

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Hudspith
Hudspith
18 posts
Aug 6, 2016 - 3:28 PM

I have been looking around the shops in Interlaken and am thinking about buying a Victorinox knife as part of a Christmas present for a relative - having never bought one before I have no idea if the prices are value for money. A Huntsman model retails at about CHF39 and there are quite a few other models around the same price with slightly different features. Any input gratefully received - thanks.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2659 posts
expert
Aug 6, 2016 - 6:54 PM in reply to Hudspith

That is the best brand they are well made.

I used to prefer Wenger, for slightly different designs, particularly in the way the spring for the scissors was designed. However, they were bought by Victorinox.

Check the built in scissors. If the spring resembles a hairpin, it will break in time at the mounting point. If it has lever bracing one arm of the scissors ( Wenger design, possibly available from Victorinox now in some models) it is much more durable.

Slowpoke

Hudspith
Hudspith
18 posts
Aug 7, 2016 - 4:28 AM

Thanks for the advice Slowpoke - the Huntsman design is 33CHF not 39 - will have a good look at what ever models I am interested in and will look out for Wenger if still available.

Off up Jungfrau today - and from our room in Interlaken the view is crystal clear and hope it stays that way - stunningly beautiful.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2659 posts
expert
Aug 7, 2016 - 6:15 AM

Hi Hudspith-

Glad you have clear weather. Take advantage of it; the weather can change quickly in the Alps.

Just be clear, you may well be able to find the "Wenger-type" design in a Victorinox knife. When I bought a few of my preferred Wenger model several years a go while they were still available, Victorinox was apparently starting to make such knives, but with the Victorinox name on them. If the store that you are looking at has an experienced clerk, they will likely remember the design feature.

I'd look at a knife that you like, and if it has the Victorinox "hairpin" design for the spring, I'd ask if the other design, that Wenger used to make, is available today.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2659 posts
expert
Aug 12, 2016 - 4:27 PM in reply to Hudspith

Hi Hudspith -

I loked up the Huntsman.

It has the "hairpin" spring that is less preferred.

You may find this thread informative.

By the way, my Wenger knives have not had the problems noted in that thread. And, apparently it is possible to replace the "hairpin" spring in the Victorinox design.

And, I found this in the announcement from Victorinox when they shut down the Wenger brand in 2013:

<<"Victorinox said it will continue to operate the Wenger site in Delémont, with all knives being produced there rebranded under the Victorinox name.">>

Finally. I looked at the entire Victorinox product line:

assets.victorinox.com/ medias/sak-product-catalog-en-us-2016.pdf?context=bWFzdGVyfHNha3 w3NDczMjg2fGFwcGxpY2F0 aW9uL3BkZnxoZWQvaDExLz g4MjU0NDY0OTgzMzQucGRm fGNiZGU2OGUzZGFjYjg3NT k4Zjc4OGM0YzkwMGRiMWRl MmVhYjIxMzdjNjNlYjQ2MD U1YjQxMTliZmFkYWFlOTc

Some of the knives feature a "lever design serrated ege" scissors, as in page 18 of the catalog. Tha is the old Wenger design.

Slowpoke

Hudspith
Hudspith
18 posts
Aug 13, 2016 - 8:15 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Thank you Slowpoke - I found the "lever design serrated edge" scissors in a small shop near Luzern. Thank you for your advice and help :)

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2659 posts
expert
Aug 13, 2016 - 9:58 PM in reply to Hudspith

Glad you found that feature in a model that you liked.

It is clearly a lot sturdier than the "hairpin spring

"

Slowpoke

Hudspith
Hudspith
18 posts
Aug 14, 2016 - 6:12 AM

Thanks again for your help Slowpoke - as an added bonus I got a free small Swiss Army Knife as part of my trip on the William Tell Express so I have an unexpected present for myself. :)

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2659 posts
expert
Aug 14, 2016 - 7:59 AM in reply to Hudspith

Don't forget to put them in your checked luggage when you fly home.

Slowpoke

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016