Asvice on Campervan touring

Asvice on Campervan touring

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
BillJones
BillJones
2 posts
Apr 23, 2014 - 1:36 PM

My partner and I are driving to Switzerland from the Uk in June. I am wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of hiring a campervan or using my car and finding accommodation. I can hire a campervan for about 100 GBP (125 euro) per day. We would want to stay in a hotel every few days, for a bit of comfort. We don't want to pre-book too much, as we want the freedom to wander. What do you advise? Are there links to useful information? What experience do forum members have? Thank you. Bill Jones

Arno
Arno
7311 posts
expert &
Apr 26, 2014 - 8:28 AM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for posting here. Unfortunately no experiences have been shared yet; hopefully someone will come across this thread later. I have no experience with campervans myself. I suppose an advantage is the freedom of moving around without packing and unpacking too much. Also you may save a bit of money compared to mid class hotels. A disadvantage could be driving on narrow winding passes with a vehicle you're not familiar with. I am not sure if you have planned that.

Note that the higher passes could still be closed, or temporarily closed in June, due to snow. Although usually most of them are open, and with the warm Winter we've had in Europe it won't be a problem I guess. It's just something to keep an eye on. Our section about traveling by car provides lots of information about how to drive in the mountains, road conditions, etc.

Not booking accommodation in advance is fine in low season. Early and mid June are still low season. Of course, if you want to stay in some small popular village with just one or two hotels or one camping, it could be fully booked. Most hotel booking sites we refer to in our hotel section allow free cancellation until the afternoon of arrival, so in such case there would not be a risk in pre-booking a few hotels you would like to stay in.

If you're going to make trips by trains, cable cars or boat (actually it's a must to do such things in Switzerland) a Swiss Half Fare Card will save you money.

I hope this was useful!

BillJones
BillJones
2 posts
Apr 26, 2014 - 8:33 AM in reply to Arno

Thank you Arno - that is most kind. It is reassuring to know that finding accommodation without pre-booking might not be a problem - that is our main concern. Your point about narrow roads in an unfamiliar (and quite large) vehicle is well taken. I would still hope forum mamber s might offer their experiences. Also thank you for the helpful links. Bill Jones

jackdebear
jackdebear
42 posts
May 19, 2014 - 12:18 PM
I looked into the idea briefly. The advice I got was to look for a vehicle in Germany simply for financial considerations. "Everything in Switzerland is made of gold."

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016