Are ATM machines common in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 9:39:07 #812137

Dear sir

I don’t want bring to much cash, is this easy to find ATM in Switzerland? Does it available in all Swiss train station? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 14:58:28 #864545

Hi cecily113,

Yes, ATM machines are very common in Switzerland and available in almost all train stations as well as town centres, banks etc.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 15:02:56 #864546

Dear Lucas

Thank you for your reply. Is this also easily find in Jungfraujoch region such as Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 16:55:32 #864547

Yes, you should have no problem finding an ATM in any village – the smaller the village the fewer there will be of course.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 June 2017 at 22:36:31 #864548

Hi Cecily –

<<“Thank you for your reply. Is this also easily find in Jungfraujoch region such as Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren…”>>

Those towns have a lot of tourists, so ATM’s are common.

If you go hiking in remote valleys or way out in the countryside, in areas that tourists do not often visit, you’ll probably not find an ATM. But, in those parts of the country, there is usually a modest sized town that serves as the commercial center of the region, with a bank and an ATM.

Also, there are many tiny train stations in those remote regions. They are not manned, and may be “Halt on Demand” stations, that the trains pass by unless they get a signal to stop; and they will usually not have ATM’s.

You are unlikely to encounter that situation during normal tourist travels.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 6:56:13 #864549

That’s great!! Thanks for all your information!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 7:28:38 #864550

>> Is this also easily find in Jungfraujoch region such as Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren…

The Post Office in Wengen has an ATM. The Post Office is in a sort of arcade off the main street (Dorfstrasse), quite close to the railway station and just before you get to the “Pasta & More” restaurant if walking from the station. Look for the yellow and white sign for “Die Post”.

The ATM machine is called a “Bankomat” or “Geldautomat” in German.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 7:39:41 #864551

Thanks Alpenrose, I will be staying in Wengen. Is your profile photo taken in Wengen? It looks so beautiful.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 June 2017 at 7:53:13 #864552

Hi Cecily-

I forgot about the Post.

It is common to have ATMs at Post offices. Although they are there to support those who have a credit card or debit card from the Post, they usually handle other kinds of cards.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 June 2017 at 7:55:46 #864553

Hi Cecily –

Here is a little light reading about Wengen:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 9:09:35 #864554

>> Is your profile photo taken in Wengen? It looks so beautiful.

Yes, that’s Wengen! It was Christmas Day a few years ago, with a beautiful clear blue sunny sky and a lot of snow. I was there last Christmas as well, hoping for a “White Christmas”, but there wasn’t a single solitary snowflake in the village 🙁

However, Wengen is superb at any time, especially the view from Wengen into the Lauterbrunnen Valley. There is a lookout where you can go for the best view. I described how to get there in my post of Apr 11, 2016 – 11:08 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/lauterbrunne nmurrengrindewaldwenge ngrutschalp

Sometimes, if you go there to watch the sunset, you can be lucky enough to see the Alpenglow, when the snow-capped mountains turn a beautiful shade of pink, then red. Unfortunately you can’t predict when that will happen 🙁

Alpenrose

Drexelius
    Participant
    20 posts
    6 June 2017 at 20:34:22 #864555

You can also charge almost everywhere these days using the traditional Visa/Mastercards and the exchange rates are favorable using them. We find that we don’t need much cash these days when traveling in Europe, except the occasional small B&B that will only accept cash.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 June 2017 at 22:04:39 #864556

Hi Drexelius-

There are still some places in Switzerland, even in tourist areas, that only take cash. Thus I always check their websites when I book, to make sure that they will accept a credit card. Not frequent, but still happens that some won’t. Even some restaurants.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 6:47:48 #864557

I’m used to having some CHF on me when traveling around Switzerland….but oddly enough I was in Munich a couple weeks ago and none of the vendors in the train station took credit or debit which surprised me! Germany is usually pretty good with that I have found.

The ones that took a card had a 10 euro minimum and all I wanted was water and a pretzel! Lesson learned to always hide a small bill in my wallet for these things (I was heading back to Zurich so I thought it smart to use up all my cash at the beer hall the night before!) haha

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    7 June 2017 at 16:04:52 #864558

Do the grocery stores such as coop take credit cards?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 20:08:42 #864559

Yes, no problem there – it is really only the smaller, private/local stores that may not take credit cards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 7:15:19 #864560

Dear Slowpoke

Thank you for the link, the report is very very detailed and useful. I spend 2 nights reading it:)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 7:25:05 #864561

Dear Alpenrose

Thanks for your recommendation, I shall stay in Hotel Belleuve, the location looks close to the sunset viewing place. Is this right?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 7:26:53 #864562

Thanks everyone for your advices!!! Hope everything runs smooth.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 7:44:20 #864563

>> I shall stay in Hotel Belleuve, the location looks close to the sunset viewing place. Is this right?

Yes it is! You walk past that church to get to the Hotel Bellevue. If you have one of the rooms facing the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the Jungfrau, you can also see the same view from your room.

In one of your posts you mentioned you would be in Switzerland in August. When the weather is nice, the Hotel Bellevue serves dinner on the balcony overlooking the Lauterbrunnen Valley, from where you can see the Alpenglow if it happens too!

In my post of Feb 14, 2017 – 3:22 AM on the page below, I posted some photos I took from the Hotel Bellevue, including the Alpenglow, and there is also a photo of the church at the lookout I mentioned.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/accommodatio ns

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 8:01:36 #864564

Hi Alpenrose

Yes, I actually booked Hotel Bellevue after reading Kim's report🙂 Luckily I booked room 308 which is facing a stunning view of Wengen and Lauterbrunnen. However I have to rearrange my booking in Grindelwald and Murren. I know most of you not recommend Grindelwald but I like the scene from the Jungfrau Lodge Hotel (see attached photo). Can you describe how tourist of Grindelwald so that I can reconsider my plan.

My 8 years old son and I shall stay in Jungfrau region for 6 days. Now I plan to stay in Murren, Grindelwald and Wengen for 2 nights each. Or skip Grindelwald, then 3 nights in Murren, 3 nights in Wengen. For Murren, I booked Hotel Alpina but they don’t have 3 nights now, only 2 nights is available. I am waiting reply from Hotel Alpenruh which is also recommended by Kim.

Here is my plan, feel free to give any suggestions and comments? I am wondering on Day 1, we shall miss the part from Brienz to Interlaken Ost on Goldpass Line, is this a pity? if so, I shall plan again.

Day 1: Luzern > Lungern > Meiringen: The Reichenbach Fall & Aare Gorge > Brienz > Cruise on Lake Brienz: Brienz to Interlaken Ost (visit Grandhotel Giessbach & Giessbach Falls) [Stay: Murren]

Day 2: Schilthorn / Hiking: Grutschalp > Winteregg > Murren > Gimmelwald > Stechelberg / Trummelbach Falls [Stay: Murren] (Swiss Pass Flex)

Day 3: Hiking: First > Bachalpsee > First / Toboggan at Pfingstegg / Alpenspielplatz Bort (kid’s playground) [Stay: Grindelwald] (Swiss Pass Flex)

Day 4: Blausee > Toboggan at Kandersteg > Oeschinensee (optional) > Cruise on Lake Thun: Spiez to Thun (visit Oberfohen) > Bus to Schloss Hunegg and Schloss Schadau [Stay: Grindelwald] (Swiss Pass Flex)

Day 5: Jungfraujoch / Hiking: Männlichen Summit > Kleine Scheidegg [Stay: Wengen] (Half Fare Card)

Day 6: Harder Kulm > Schynige Platte > Staubbach Fall [Stay: Wengen] (Swiss Pass Flex)

Day 7: Wengen > Gruyere (Golden Pass) [Stay: Gruyere] (Swiss Pass Flex)

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • The thread ‘Are ATM machines common in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.