Availability of Swiss passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2013 at 7:15:27 #805907

Hello!

Could you please help me?

This July I’m going to travel around Switzerland with a Swiss pass. Couldyou please tell me whether Swiss passes are always available at all Swissrailway stations? Can I arrive in Switzerland(at Zurichairport), buy a Swiss pass just on the spot at the nearest railway station andstart using it immediately? Will it not take much time? (I’ll need a Swiss passto go to another city this very day). Or is there any necessity to buy itonline in advance?
    Thank you very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 April 2013 at 9:46:50 #838374

Hi Olena,

You can best go to the Swiss Pass page, select your country and preferred pass and review all purchase options. Click to the details of the various resellers to see what option fits best for you.

In general: you can purchase a Swiss Pass at most staffed Swiss railway stations during opening hours. All traveler passports need to be present if buying there. Another thing to take into account is that you need to pay in Swiss francs. The actual amount you’d pay thus depends on the exchange rate of the day and fees your bank may charge. Local purchase is a good option if you don’t know what pass you’ll use until the last minute, and if your itinerary allows you to go to a staffed rail station before you start traveling. Purchasing in advance saves you time on arrival (some resellers allow you to validate your pass yourself so you can board your first train straight away). In many cases you can pay in your own currency to avoid banking fees, and there are extra services like an optional pass insurance and a help desk to call if necessary. Options and prices vary per country of residence and reseller, so you best look into that yourself on the Swiss Pass page.

Swiss Passes don’t sell out. They’re always available both online and offline.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2013 at 9:54:07 #838375

Hi Arno,
    Thank youvery much, you’ve really helped me a lot!
    So, as faras I can see, if I nevertheless decide to buy a Swiss pass in Switzerland, I’ll be able to do it at therailway station of Zurichairport? Could you please also tell me what is meant by “all traveler passports”?Is this just a passport I am travelling with?
    Thank you.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 April 2013 at 10:30:25 #838376

Hi Olena,

Yes you can, and by “all traveler passports” I mean that you need to present the passport of each traveler who will be using the pass. You indeed need to travel with both the pass and the passport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2013 at 11:23:19 #838377

Hi Arno,
    thank you very much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2013 at 4:01:30 #838378

Arno, just picking up on this thread, I have a couple of questions. We will be based at Luzern, arriving July 6 at Zurich airport, travelling to Como in Italy on July 13.

We want to use Swiss Pass for our travels, starting with the train from Zurich, and including as much as possible of our travel to Como. We are both over 65, and plan to travel First Class. We will get an 8-day pass, and I know about Swiss Saver, but is there an extra discount for seniors?

We wanted to book our travel in advance: is this advisable for July?

Do we need to have our Swiss Pass in order to make those bookings in advance?

cheers

peter

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 April 2013 at 4:12:19 #838379

Hi Peter, welcome to MySwissAlps,

There is no extra discount for seniors. It can be convenient to book your pass in advance as explained to Olena. Domestic Swiss trains do mostly not require reservations, and I would not advice to book such trains in advance to be flexible. You don’t need a pass to purchase reservations. More information is here.

• The thread ‘Availability of Swiss passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.