B-Oberland Pass, Geneva/Montreux and Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2017 at 19:47:13 #812634

This is an amazing site thank you. Lots of research here but a few questions remain. I am a photographer but the trip is with my brother so not just about photos.

Arrive Geneva 5.45pm Tues Aug 15. this is last day to purchase the discounted half fare card for 33. purchase it and also 6 day Bernes Oberland pass (discounted 25% with half fare card)

Ques1: stay in Geneva for night or train to Montreux for the night? We can train to Lauterbrunnen Weds am via Bern if we stay in Geneva (covered from Bern in BO pass) or use the golden Pano from Montreaux (covered from Saanen in BO). Is Montreaux nicer than Geneva?

Base camp is expected to be Lauterbrunnen (either caravan or Airbnb) as easily accessible to many planned trips from there, leaving Sun AM – so a 1/2 day weds and then 3 full days and a half day return trip to Geneva.

Trips planned from base include Schynige Platte, Kandersteg, Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, Interlaken-Brienze boat trip and possibly Jungfraujoch (extra but discounted using BO card). Planning to use supermarkets for food mostly.

Ques 2: Any other recommendations in this area? Anything to skip? Too much?

return flight from Geneva 6pm sun so plan to take golden pano back to montreaux and then to train to Geneva.

Ques 3: How is the Golden Pano train designated on the timetables? I can’t seem to find it.

Ques 4: Taking the Golden pano train to Montreux is covered to Saanen with the BO pass. Do I pay the extra to Geneva at Saanen or when I board the train?

Ques 5: Does it make sense to get the BO pass rather than the Jungfrau? even though most trips are in Jungfrau region. Using BO pass for flexibility and seems to be mostly local trips in the area. The Jungfrau pass is about 10-20 cheaper than the BO pass but the extended travel area to and from Geneva (to Bern or Saanen is included in BO) included in BO pass saves about the same.

I think i have priced the travel to around 300 included transfers from to geneva.

My brother wants to do it by car as it’s about 200 cheaper (without gas or parking) but I told him we’d want to do lots of the cable cars, funiculars, mountain trains etc in the local area anyway so why not just do it all on the transportation. Also, lets both people see things and I’m sure cars in this area in the summer are a pain.

Ques 6: Any thoughts on doing it by car?

Thanks in Advance

Gavin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 8:57:45 #866899

Hi Gavin and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It looks like a nice quick trip to Switzerland!

Questions:

1. I prefer Montreux over Geneva. If you are planning to take the Golden Pass on the way back to Geneva, and you want to get to Lauterbrunnen as quickly as possible then I might stay in Geneva that first night (especially as you get in late anyway).
    2. It looks like a doable schedule for 3 days – I would note if you are going to go to Kleine Scheidegg then you might as well go to Jungfraujoch. At least decide before you go and don’t make a 2nd trip. 🙂
    3. You can find the panoramic trains on the Swiss railways timetable here. You have to enter Montreux to Luzern or Interlaken and Zweisimmen as the “via” station. The panoramic cars operate between Zweisimmen and Montreux and are listed as MOB panoramic or MOB Belle Epoque on the timetable.
    4. You get 50% off the travel cost from Saanen to Montreux and then regular price on to Geneva. You can buy a ticket for this route (with the appropriate discount) at any Swiss rail station (don’t get off at Saanen to buy the ticket – buy it the day before at Lauterbrunnen for example).
    5. Yes, I think the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland would work out the best for your trip. You can read more about it, and buy the pass here.
    6. I agree with you – train travel is the better option in Switzerland. You will use your rail pass a lot for travel up into the mountains (cable cars etc.) and ? I think the cost and hassle of paying for and finding parking (as well as the cost of gas) will annoy you in the end.
      If you do end up renting a car, then definitely look at the Swiss Half Fare Card to help offset the cable car and train tickets you will end up buying.

I hope that helps! Let us know if you have more questions!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 12:52:51 #866900

I think you want the BO pass for sure. The Jungfrau pass doesn’t cover nearly as much and its only a little more. Unless there is something in Geneva or Montreux you want to do, I would suggest that you just hunker down and get all the way to your destination on day 1. All you are going to do is eat dinner and go to sleep, so you might as well eat dinner on a train and sleep in your final destination. You can make the 7pm train through Bern and be in your destination before 10:30. The trains are clean and comfortable and at that time of night I don’t expect they would be too crowded; maybe splurge and go in 1st class car for the Geneva to Bern section.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 20:51:44 #866901

Lucas:

Thanks for the great answers.

Upon further thinking, we might get the train to Bern on arrival night as we’d get in around 8.30-9pm. Then finish the journey in the morning which would give us basically all day Weds for sightseeing. This might give us the option for a 4 day pass instead of a 6 day.

cheers

wembley

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 20:53:33 #866902

Elbarcos1

That’s an option too. is it fine to eat on the trains? Can you take beer/wine on them?

cheers

wembley

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2017 at 0:08:47 #866903

We did, and we saw others as well. The train to Bern might have a bar car as well in case you don’t have time to pop into the store at Geneva airport train station.

• The thread ‘B-Oberland Pass, Geneva/Montreux and Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.