Backpacking and public transport

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2010 at 0:14:56 #803870

My wife and I will be in Switzerland for two weeks starting this Thursday June 24th.
    We will be traveling moderately light. I will be carrying a 70-liter internal backpack, and my wife will be carrying a daypack about half that size.
    We will be traveling by train, bus and foot.

My question is this…
    Logistically it won’t work to send our packs ahead to our destinations separate from us, so we are hoping to carry our packs on to the train sand buses with us.
    Is this something that is commonly done?
    Are there places on the trains and buses to stow packs like this?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    21 June 2010 at 9:15:00 #831427

Hi impresently,

Yes, this is commonly done in Switzerland. As far as I know you will have no problems at all traveling with your packs using public transportation. Many buses have a compartment for luggage that can be reached from the outside by the bus driver, and in trains you can stow your packs most of the times in or near the entrance of the railway car.
    Many paragliders use public transportation too, and their packs are rather big.
    Switzerland is a safe country to travel, so you don’t have to worry about stowing your gear in a place where you can’t actually see it.
    Have a nice time!

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 June 2010 at 9:54:51 #831428

Hello impresently! As Wandermann already pointed out, it’s no problem to take along your backpacks. You already indicated that you won’t be able to send your backpacks ahead, but just to be sure hat you don’t accidentally overlook any options: are you aware of the Fast Baggage service of the Swiss Federal Railways, allowing you to hand ín your luggage in the morning and pick it up at another station the same day? This may come in handy, but once again: travelling with your luggage works out fine in Swiss trains!

• The thread ‘Backpacking and public transport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.