Base for Jungfrau region trip in Dec 2021

• Johnsonkelly
    Participant
    9 posts
    8 July 2021 at 23:41:54 #825920

Hello,

We are visiting Switzerland at the beginning of December and are trying to figure out the best home base for that time of year. We are deciding between Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, and Grindelwald. We plan on taking day trip excursions via train from this location, but also want to stay in a town that we can enjoy when we’re not venturing around. I’ve seen many posts leaning toward Wengen and Lauterbrunnen (which were my first picks) but am concerned about it possibly taking longer to travel out of those locations, and the time of year (hours of sunlight, things being open). I would very much appreciate your thoughts! Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    9 July 2021 at 7:45:10 #935633

Hi Johnsonkelly,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you’re planning to do a lot of travelling with the train, my pick would be Lauterbrunnen. However as you may have probably read, Lauterbrunnen is located in a narrow valley, and in the winter it doesn’t get a lot of sun. In this case I prefer Wengen but as it is a car-free village, transportation is limited. Grindelwald is slightly bigger, busier and is serviced by buses and trains so would probably be the ideal base for your trip. You can find more information about Grindelwald here: http://www.myswissalps.com/grindelwald

You can use the following links to search for accommodation in the area:

Regards,

Anna

Ricky121
    Participant
    10 posts
    17 July 2021 at 7:34:11 #935634

Which place is best to stay for cover up the both places “Murren to Gimmelwald” route by cabelcar and visit to Jungfraujoch by train? Either Lauterbrunnen or Stechelberg. Yes i know that for cover up the both places, i have to stay for two days or something else. Kindly suggest me. Thanking You

Anna
    6274 posts
    17 July 2021 at 11:01:08 #935635

Hi Ricky121,

I think Lauterbrunnen would be a good base for hikes to Mürren and Gimmelwald and trips to Jungfraujoch. You can search for accommodation here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lauterbrunnen/hotels

Regards,

Anna

Ricky121
    Participant
    10 posts
    17 July 2021 at 11:19:22 #935636

Thanks a lot for your advice.

• The thread ‘Base for Jungfrau region trip in Dec 2021’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.